Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tank leaders and night fighting
03-23-2014, 02:32 PM,
Tank leaders and night fighting
1. a silly question perhaps, but I can't seem to find an answer to it: how many tank leaders do you get if it isn't specified in a scenario?
We're playing Battle of the Bulge by email, and are now getting into a few scenarios with tanks.
quoting 6.8:
All German AFVs, all Soviet Guards AFVs in scenarios taking place in 1943 or later, and all American and Polish AFVs in scenarios taking place in 1944 or later have tank leaders. For all other forces, the scenario instructions designate how many tank leaders a side has. The owning player secretly assigns the tank leaders to his or her AFV units (record the letter IDs of the AFVs with tank leaders). APCs never have tank leaders and may not have tank leaders assigned to them. However, they can be activated by tank leaders and regular leaders.

if all AFV's have tank leaders, do you just get to activate all of the tanks in adjacent hexes all the time, or is there some kind of hierarchy?

2. Night Fighting. If a scenario states that you have only a visibility of (let's say) 1 hex because it is night, does that limitation get lifted if a unit fires, making itself somehow visible, and increasing the spotting range?

thanks
03-23-2014, 06:59 PM,
RE: Tank leaders and night fighting
Mik,

Rule 3.31

If all AFV's have leaders, you first designate which hex is activating. Once that has been decided, then any other AFV adjacent to the activation hex (inc APC's) can be activated also. You can not ripple the activation hexes further away by using the other leaders.

Look at rule 3.31 which puts it simply. The centre hex would be activating and the 6 hexes around it may activate, no more.

2. Night visibilty = No, firing does not increase visibility range. The reason being I'd suggest that at 600 yards (3 hexes) for example (at night), although firing guns might be seen as they discharge, I'd think it highly risky to know where you should direct fire at that rage in the dark.

Some scenarios have star-shells and these increase visibility. But these are specifically mentioned in SSR's if they are in the scenario.
03-23-2014, 07:55 PM,
(03-23-2014, 06:59 PM)vince hughes Wrote: Mik,Rule 3.31If all AFV's have leaders, you first designate which hex is activating. Once that has been decided, then any other AFV adjacent to the activation hex (inc APC's) can be activated also. You can not ripple the activation hexes further away by using the other leaders.Look at rule 3.31 which puts it simply. The centre hex would be activating and the 6 hexes around it may activate, no more.2. Night visibilty = No, firing does not increase visibility range. The reason being I'd suggest that at 600 yards (3 hexes) for example (at night), although firing guns might be seen as they discharge, I'd think it highly risky to know where you should direct fire at that rage in the dark.Some scenarios have star-shells and these increase visibility. But these are specifically mentioned in SSR's if they are in the scenario.

Thanks Vince,

I think I've got it now.
You only assign leaders to your AFV's (in secret) if you play with non-German forces prior to 1943-44 (depending the nation you play).
03-23-2014, 09:40 PM,
Yes Miko
03-24-2014, 02:05 AM,
Note also that Polish AFVs in White Eagles (1939) have tank leaders. Watch the supplement/game specific rules and the SSRs to be sure.
No "minor" country left behind...
07-21-2014, 06:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 06:25 AM by nicky_longbranch.)
Another Question, Scenario 3, Saipan 44, No tank leaders assigned in Scenario set-up, nor do any pieces in Saipan have ID numbers. How does it work, I assumed that If no tank leaders are stated than they all have a leader inherent in the counter. Is it so... and why hasn't PG after so many years and with the new fourth edition rules, they have never addressed the issue. Just looking for some clarification. Also, is it true that no unit may enter a unfriendly hex at night?

Thanks
07-21-2014, 07:12 AM,
(07-21-2014, 06:15 AM)nicky_longbranch Wrote: Another Question, Scenario 3, Saipan 44, No tank leaders assigned in Scenario set-up, nor do any pieces in Saipan have ID numbers. How does it work, I assumed that If no tank leaders are stated than they all have a leader inherent in the counter. Is it so... and why hasn't PG after so many years and with the new fourth edition rules, they have never addressed the issue. Just looking for some clarification. Also, is it true that no unit may enter a unfriendly hex at night?

Thanks

First question with tank leaders. Check the SSR's for Saipan, I believe you will find that there is a rule that says both American and Japanese tanks have inherent leaders. With regard to the rules, tank leaders are typically addresses in the scenario SSR's.

As for night, no unit that has not been activated by a leader may move into an unfriendly hex. Here is the link to the annotated rules, Night Movement
07-21-2014, 07:27 AM,
(07-21-2014, 07:12 AM)campsawyer Wrote:
(07-21-2014, 06:15 AM)nicky_longbranch Wrote: Another Question, Scenario 3, Saipan 44, No tank leaders assigned in Scenario set-up, nor do any pieces in Saipan have ID numbers. How does it work, I assumed that If no tank leaders are stated than they all have a leader inherent in the counter. Is it so... and why hasn't PG after so many years and with the new fourth edition rules, they have never addressed the issue. Just looking for some clarification. Also, is it true that no unit may enter a unfriendly hex at night?

Thanks

First question with tank leaders. Check the SSR's for Saipan, I believe you will find that there is a rule that says both American and Japanese tanks have inherent leaders. With regard to the rules, tank leaders are typically addresses in the scenario SSR's.

As for night, no unit that has not been activated by a leader may move into an unfriendly hex. Here is the link to the annotated rules, Night Movement

Thank You for the answers,

If they do assign tank leaders how are you supposed to know which tank they're assigned to without counters with ID numbers.
07-21-2014, 07:38 AM,
(07-21-2014, 07:27 AM)nicky_longbranch Wrote:

Thanks

If they do assign tank leaders how are you supposed to know which tank they're assigned to without counters with ID numbers.

That has been a sticking point with APL production. They have put number on the Workers and Peasants version of the Soviet tanks as well as others. Not sure if all are covered, but I have had to pencil some in.
07-21-2014, 07:56 AM,
(07-21-2014, 07:38 AM)campsawyer Wrote:
(07-21-2014, 07:27 AM)nicky_longbranch Wrote:

Thanks

That has been a sticking point with APL production. They have put number on the Workers and Peasants version of the Soviet tanks as well as others. Not sure if all are covered, but I have had to pencil some in.

Got it, Thanks A TON!