Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IoG Play Input Query
03-20-2014, 05:34 AM,
RE: IoG Play Input Query
(03-20-2014, 03:44 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: My question; if I play a scenario such as Advance Along the Douve, making at least three appearances in the Airborne line, and record each play in its own supplement, do I get credit for one or three unique plays?
Michael

The answer to that now is "Yes." Once Shad adjusts the scenario accounting system the answer will be "It depends." The decision was made early on to count scenarios from different games as the "same" scenario only if they are identical -- same Maps, same OOB, same Victory Conditions, same Intro, same everything. Some of the Arctic Front and Airborne scenarios were changed between editions to take advantage of the expanded map and unit pools. Those will be counted as unique scenarios and tabulated separately from each other for play and bounty calculations.
03-20-2014, 05:54 AM,
(03-20-2014, 05:34 AM)rerathbun Wrote:
(03-20-2014, 03:44 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: My question; if I play a scenario such as Advance Along the Douve, making at least three appearances in the Airborne line, and record each play in its own supplement, do I get credit for one or three unique plays?
Michael

The answer to that now is "Yes." Once Shad adjusts the scenario accounting system the answer will be "It depends." The decision was made early on to count scenarios from different games as the "same" scenario only if they are identical -- same Maps, same OOB, same Victory Conditions, same Intro, same everything. Some of the Arctic Front and Airborne scenarios were changed between editions to take advantage of the expanded map and unit pools. Those will be counted as unique scenarios and tabulated separately from each other for play and bounty calculations.

I did not know that. Do I understand you to say that such unique plays will count for play counts? I certainly understand that there are issues surrounding their inclusion in bounty point calculations.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
03-20-2014, 07:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-20-2014, 08:01 AM by Poor Yorek.)
Quote:I did not know that. Do I understand you to say that such unique plays will count for play counts? I certainly understand that there are issues surrounding their inclusion in bounty point calculations.

Michael,

As long as folks would view this as an experiment and not subterfuge I could submit the play into IoG (having recently just submitted it within West Wall ) and see whether my unique play count goes up by one ... and, yes, submission of the play into IoG flips my "total plays" and shows up as a countable play in my Collection Status even though the same scenario was previously submitted in West Wall.

PS: I've since deleted the doubled play.
03-20-2014, 07:29 AM,
Michael,

My post was only to show the pity that with a 'double' appearance of a 'A Bitter Irony' in different guises, we are not seeing your result join the previous 10 or 11. As it was the most recent example, that's why I used it. And once again, it goes down to the wire... A very good scenario for one so small.
03-20-2014, 08:14 AM,
IoG is a straight reprint with no changes. The scenarios are identical. Because of that we (me + mod team) decided that plays should be common - someone looking at an IoG scenario would be expected to want to read the AARs and results for the original edition.

But in other reprints like Edel and Arctic Front there are often (always?) changes to the scenarios, however small they may be they are not the same.

That was the reasoning. Whether it holds up under examination I leave to others with more extensive PG collections. ;-) I'm just the coder.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
03-20-2014, 09:15 AM,
(03-20-2014, 07:29 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Michael,

My post was only to show the pity that with a 'double' appearance of a 'A Bitter Irony' in different guises, we are not seeing your result join the previous 10 or 11. As it was the most recent example, that's why I used it. And once again, it goes down to the wire... A very good scenario for one so small.

Permit me to make a suggestion in this regard. Is there some way to cross-link those duplicate scenarios so that the Win/Loss stats show all plays for all iterations of of duplicate scenarios. That would add my Bitter Irony to the other 10 -11 plays in its earlier life. That would give the casual visitor an insight into how a scenario plays over its life. Properly cross-linked, you also gain an entry point to jump to the different iterations of a scenario for perusing AAR's.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
03-21-2014, 01:09 AM,
That is one possible approach.
03-21-2014, 03:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2014, 03:36 AM by campsawyer.)
(03-20-2014, 08:14 AM)Shad Wrote: IoG is a straight reprint with no changes. The scenarios are identical. Because of that we (me + mod team) decided that plays should be common - someone looking at an IoG scenario would be expected to want to read the AARs and results for the original edition.

But in other reprints like Edel and Arctic Front there are often (always?) changes to the scenarios, however small they may be they are not the same.

That was the reasoning. Whether it holds up under examination I leave to others with more extensive PG collections. ;-) I'm just the coder.

Shad,

You have the same issue with Iron Curtain and Hammer and Sickle. In the back of H&S, they have reprinted IC. Cross-referencing would be a nice feature, but do you feel like trying to keep up with all of these ones that are the same? For completeness, does it make sense to comb through all the reprinted individual ones to see if they are the same or different and then code for each one?

As you said, you are the coder and I seeing a bit of code for you to do get all of this working.
03-21-2014, 03:40 PM,
(03-21-2014, 03:35 AM)campsawyer Wrote: ... does it make sense ...

Does anything we do here? Wink

Seriously though, with that new scenario clone function I wrote for the scenario data entry all the scenario pairs are in the database. It's not terribly difficult to use that to create unified data for plays and AARs. We're basically halfway there. I just don't have time.

I used to put in ~3 hours a day of coding on PG-HQ. Now I struggle to do 3 hours a month.
03-21-2014, 08:34 PM,
(03-21-2014, 03:40 PM)Shad Wrote:
(03-21-2014, 03:35 AM)campsawyer Wrote: ... does it make sense ...

Does anything we do here? Wink

Seriously though, with that new scenario clone function I wrote for the scenario data entry all the scenario pairs are in the database. It's not terribly difficult to use that to create unified data for plays and AARs. We're basically halfway there. I just don't have time.

I used to put in ~3 hours a day of coding on PG-HQ. Now I struggle to do 3 hours a month.

Ha, ha, you are correct.

If you have the code already then that is great. I hear you on time.