Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing Soviet Initiative FR #24
03-15-2014, 01:06 AM,
Missing Soviet Initiative FR #24
Help! No errata on this. Soviet morale is 7/6 and OBA 3x10, but no initiative is given. In the Special Rules, Soviet initiative is lowered as -1/2. Italian initiative is given as 4. The Bolsheviks are on the attack initially, but subject to a Italian counter-attack. So ... should initiative be even or in which side's favor?

Sort of disappointing to note this scenario has 2 plays claimed, yet no mention is made of this important missing piece of information. Or, maybe I need new glasses?Huh

If anyone knows of a clarification on this one, I'd be obliged. I'd be happy to submit an errata to the Site if I can get a definitive number.
03-15-2014, 01:22 AM,
RE: Missing Soviet Initiative FR #24
Hi PY,

Not near my re-released scenario book but the Scenario info on #24 on this site shows a "Net Initiative" rating of 0 which tells me that both sides start with the same initiative. So if the Italian initiative is there, it should be the same for the Soviets.

Not the absolute answer but can probably work for now until I look at my copy.

Hope that helps.
03-15-2014, 01:32 AM,
(03-15-2014, 01:22 AM)tlangston28 Wrote: Not near my re-released scenario book but the Scenario info on #24 on this site shows a "Net Initiative" rating of 0 which tells me that both sides start with the same initiative.

Heh, well, I've got my boots and my weapon, so I can march into combat! Thanks for noting the "net initiative" datum. As I'm basically set up and ready to go, this sounds like a plausible approach until we get official clarification.

I noted an earlier thread mentioning this scenario vis-a-vis substituting a KSF Map (#38?) for EF #2, but I don't have Kursk SF (yet).

Again, thanks for the reply ... off to Hill 331.7.

2,228.7 to 1? Those are pretty good odds, Mr. Spock.
03-15-2014, 02:09 AM,
emh, well, ... just checked, there is no Soviet initiative numeber even in my submission copy.
Too honest (and stupid) of me to admit it?
If I had to engeneer back the scenario I would go for same initiative level, so you have my blessing on it (...for what it matters!)

Concering the KSD map suggestion, I gave it because the town in map 2 is really too big.
There should be a small two hex village (called Voroshilova) with some light wood around it.
However, for the sake of scenario 24 victory conditions and game play, the size of the town is not relevant. On the contrary it really spoils scenario 42 (Voroshilova Struggle)
So do not worry about it.
...I would really like to produce and post an overlay at some point.

Ottavio

Ottavio
03-15-2014, 02:31 AM,
(03-15-2014, 02:09 AM)otto Wrote: If I had to engeneer back the scenario I would go for same initiative level, so you have my blessing on it (...for what it matters!)

Of course it matters! Grazie! I shall add an errata to the Site for this.

Quote:Concering the KSD map suggestion, I gave it because the town in map 2 is really too big.
There should be a small two hex village (called Voroshilova) with some light wood around it.
However, for the sake of scenario 24 victory conditions and game play, the size of the town is not relevant. On the contrary it really spoils scenario 42 (Voroshilova Struggle)
So do not worry about it.
...I would really like to produce and post an overlay at some point.

Understood. I noted your comments on a previous thread. As you say, the town is irrelevant to the VCs. Only thing I can think of is the town providing LT for recoveries (town bonus to morale) and cover from IT OBA.

Would it be too much to ask (or I can do it if you send me or post here the list) to add Map Substitution suggestions to the Scenario errata? That way, perspective players who are reviewing the scenario at the Site can make the substitution without having to find a thread here?

Thank you for your timely reply.

Vicenza born PY
03-15-2014, 02:41 AM,
Otto, If it isn't too much to ask ... if and when you do create your overlay, can you please post it here for us to print and use? I for one would be happy to print it out on cheap card-stock for personal use.

I'm not "Vicenza born PY" but I was stationed in La Maddalena for 15 months back in 1978-79 if that helps. Big Grin

Mille grazie for FR, a very well researched, entertaining, and fun little supplement.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
03-15-2014, 02:51 AM,
You lucky, Michael. La Maddalena island is outstanding for swimming and sunbathing.
I will do both, but
... for map substitution I have to check placement instructions for many scenarios.
...as for the overlay, it will take a while to produce it because I do not want to produce an orrendous overlay.

Ottavio
03-15-2014, 03:02 AM,
Ottavio, I've just added a note to to the Additional Notes section of Scenario 43:

Fronte Russo Scenario 43

If you think it advisable, I can add similar notes to the other scenarios involving Voroshilova.

For Shad: I tried making the Additional Note easier to read by separating the two notes, but the Additional Notes section does not recognize paragraph breaks or extra spaces between characters. Would it be possible to change that so that the Notes don't all run together?
03-15-2014, 04:02 AM,
(03-15-2014, 02:41 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: I'm not "Vicenza born PY" but I was stationed in La Maddalena for 15 months back in 1978-79 if that helps.

The real question is whether you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express? Big Grin
03-15-2014, 04:15 AM,
(03-15-2014, 04:02 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote:
(03-15-2014, 02:41 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: I'm not "Vicenza born PY" but I was stationed in La Maddalena for 15 months back in 1978-79 if that helps.

The real question is whether you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express? Big Grin

Nothing can compare with the joy and satisfaction of sleeping on a foam mattress in the berthing compartment of a U.S. Navy submarine tender. Tongue
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!