Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Case For Counters / Against Print-and-Play
10-24-2014, 02:34 AM,
RE: The Case For Counters / Against Print-and-Play
(10-17-2014, 03:22 PM)armyduck95 Wrote: I never printed a lot of my downloads because I have a lifetime of gaming to be done with my hard copies. HOWEVER, the recent offerings caused me to decide to try and make my counters to see how much investment in time and effort it took before I decided to sink my original download costs and add another $100+ in buying hard copies.

Turns out making counters, at least my technique, is super fast (<2 hours), super cheap (<$3 per counter 165 counters), the print quality is better than laser cut, and I am satisfied with the overall quality for play - no worse than going die cut. While I will certainly buy hard copies, I no longer fear that I won't get around to turning my downloads into physical products.

What method did you use?
10-25-2014, 02:03 AM,
(10-24-2014, 02:34 AM)richvalle Wrote:
(10-17-2014, 03:22 PM)armyduck95 Wrote: I never printed a lot of my downloads because I have a lifetime of gaming to be done with my hard copies. HOWEVER, the recent offerings caused me to decide to try and make my counters to see how much investment in time and effort it took before I decided to sink my original download costs and add another $100+ in buying hard copies.

Turns out making counters, at least my technique, is super fast (<2 hours), super cheap (<$3 per counter 165 counters), the print quality is better than laser cut, and I am satisfied with the overall quality for play - no worse than going die cut. While I will certainly buy hard copies, I no longer fear that I won't get around to turning my downloads into physical products.

What method did you use?

Materials -
1. United States Postal Service Photo/Document Mailer (Dimensions 9in x 12 in). The cardboard is thin enough, and rigid enough.
2. Elmer's glue- roll on glue stick
3. Avery 9 x 12 self Adhesive Laminating Sheets (2 sheets)
4. Rolling Pin (same as used for flattening dough)
5. Counters printed on 8 x 11 standard paper (there are probably better options)... use lined counter option if you can, it makes cutting and alignment easier.
6. Scissors (admittedly an exacto knife is probably a superior choice)

Method:
1. Cut open the mailer along the seems, and remove excess fold oer card board so you are left with the main 9 x 12 sides.
2. Completely cover one side with a layer of roll-on glue
3. Align your sheet and use the rolling pin to flatten the counter sheet out evenly and press.
4. Let dry under a press (I use a hevcy game box) - 15 min usually is fine
5. I normally trim the edges of the counter sheets at this point to ensure the backside of the sheet aligns perfectly with the front.
6. Repeat the glue and sheet application with the rolling pin and let dry.
7. Ensure the counter sheet is trimmed down to about 8 x 11 before using the 9 x 12 laminate.
8. Arrange the laminate sheet #1 on the table surface to receive the counter sheet.
9. Place the countersheet from end to end, rolling it the same way you did in earlier steps.
10. Align laminate sheet#2 on top and roll it over on top of the backside of the counter sheet.
11. Roll out and press, Ensure the ends of the laminate are securely fastened and roll out air bubbles as best as possible. I also use a coin here too. and folder over the edges
12. Cut away excess laminate.
13. Use scissors or exacto to cut out your counters.

Issues:
1. When I've encountered a counter that did not adhere to the cardboard, I just reglue it and press. Very few and far between.
2. I also tried putting the counters on two separate cardboard faces and them gluing the cardboard together. This works and creates a thicker counter, but there are some issues with rough edges of laminate.
3. You can probably skip using the laminate if you want,but I feel better having the additional adhesive.

I'll try to put up some pictures of the method and the final copies. Admittedly there are probably superior methods, but this makes for more than adequate counters in my book and very fast process (1-2 hours).
10-25-2014, 02:06 AM,
I am also willing to bet a nice printer and Avery labels create an awesome counter too. I just always seem to screw up using label makers on printers Smile
10-25-2014, 02:18 AM,
(10-24-2014, 02:34 AM)richvalle Wrote:

What method did you use?
I do something similar.
(09-09-2012, 04:19 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: A very important concept, make some guides out side of the counter line and remove the counter lines from one side. It clears up a lot of alignment errors. I'll attach the guides I use for overlays. Most image or PDF editors will work. I use Foxit PDF editor.

Supplies:
  1. Photo paper, I use matte photo paper by Printworks @ Walmart $12
  2. Manilla folders or light paperboard
  3. Rubber cement or very thin contact cement The rubber cement can be a little thin. You might want some thinner too.
  4. Clear spray shellack. I prefer this to the clear acrylic.
Tools:
  1. Rulers (thin metal or hi grade polycarb), 6" and 12 or 15"
  2. X-acto knife, #11 blade (easiest one to find)
  3. Rotary cutter (such as for scrap booking)
  4. Cutting mat I like the green ones by Olfa.
  5. Good quality printer. I use an inkjet printer because toner sometimes discolors with spray coatings. Toner also scratches quite easily.
Here is my post on my notes for making counters.
Good luck! Let us know.
I also like P-n-P games because I can correct errors and make extras for double-blind & overflows.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-27-2014, 09:05 AM,
Looks like the only counter-set Mike didn't think of was the I.A. prelim counter set for Chihuahua. Probably didn't want to do that as a set because it uses pre-release I.A. rules.