Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Spotting Clarification needed
02-09-2014, 10:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014, 10:50 PM by qwirz.)
Spotting Clarification needed
Hi again!
I'm about to start BoB Scenario 1 first PG solo game and soon my first problem.
German Gren set up on a 20 m hill.
Americans on another 20m (wooded) hill 4 hexes away.
Special rules state American may not move on the first turn.
They won the first initiative roll so no German reinforcement have still the possibility to enter. (BTW do they enter on the 1st turn? It is not specified).

The question is: does Rule 8.21 supersede all the other spotting rules?
8.21 "A unit occupying limiting terrain may only be spotted by enemy units within three hexes....."
Is this true REGARDLESS the spotting unit spotting range?
Finally: not being able to move (for special rule) or fire(no target in sight???) are the Americans forced to pass?
Is it never possible to exchange shots between hills farther than three hexes away?
Am I missing something?

Thanks
02-09-2014, 11:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014, 11:23 PM by vince hughes.)
RE: Spotting Clarification needed
Limiting terrain reduces all spotting to 3 hexes maximum UNTIL the unit in limiting terrain fires (rule 8.22)

If units are on hills, they are limiting terrain so enemy units have to be 3 hexes or nearer to spot them. Once a unit on the hill fires, it gets the spotted marker and rule 8.22 kicks in again. They can therefore be spotted from 12 hexes away.

They can even be spotted further if the spotter is a leader on higher terrain or spotting from the same level but in a town.

Lets say US unit is on 20m hill. It fires and a spotted marker is put on it. An enemy unit on a 20m level or ground level can spot it from 12 hexes away. An enemy unit on a 40m hill can spot it 18 hexes away (as per 8.1 and 8.41). Also, a leader on a 20m hill in a town (not unit) can spot it from 18 hexes for bombardment (20m hill plus he gets up on top of a building for 40m).

Therefore 8.21 supercedes all others until the spotted marker is on.

In my BotB it states the German reinforcements enter on turn one ?

As for Americans moving, they can not move on turn 1 at all. It appears they can only fire.
02-11-2014, 11:27 PM,
RE: Spotting Clarification needed
Thanks Vince!
My scenario booklet is the 2nd edition
Parhaps the specification for the german entry was a 3rd ed update.