Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do 4th edition rules change the game?
02-19-2014, 05:03 PM,
RE: Do 4th edition rules change the game?
Alan,

Perhaps John means that he is merely 'tightening up' some of those SSR's. By that I mean many of them were merely a paragraph which on the face of it on first reading seemed they covered the job they were meant to be used for. As we know, many SSR's get found out in 'real-play' with many questions left unanswered for each one. Obvious ones to me are Penal troops (that I know Wayne feels have a few loop-holes) and things like Caves.
02-19-2014, 05:47 PM,
(02-19-2014, 03:37 PM)campsawyer Wrote: John, how significant are the SSR changes? I am worried that I hear repurchase of games. ConfusedHuh

Who said anything about repurchasing games?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-19-2014, 11:49 PM,
(02-19-2014, 05:03 PM)vince hughes Wrote: Alan,

Perhaps John means that he is merely 'tightening up' some of those SSR's. By that I mean many of them were merely a paragraph which on the face of it on first reading seemed they covered the job they were meant to be used for. As we know, many SSR's get found out in 'real-play' with many questions left unanswered for each one. Obvious ones to me are Penal troops (that I know Wayne feels have a few loop-holes) and things like Caves.

That would be nice, but APL's history of changing games SSR's is starting to worry me more. There are several instances of this, it looks like in the re-release of EFD they are adding armored trains and mine dogs as it was recently posted in News from the Front article. Another example is IoG, I recently picked this up with the latest sale. In looking at some of the scenarios they have changed slightly from the originals that you and I have played. I noticed some hidden units making there way in as well as the slight changes to the SSRs.

So my point being is consistency, your and my older version of the scenarios may not match up with something some one buys new making it tougher to do FtF or other games other than solo efforts.

All I would like to know is what the chances are for the SSR's and will I need to buy the game all over again to get those. I may be a pessimist on this, but given APLs history with Edelweiss and Airborne it does not bode well for providing and "upgrade" path short of buying the game again.
02-19-2014, 11:49 PM,
(02-19-2014, 05:47 PM)Shad Wrote:
(02-19-2014, 03:37 PM)campsawyer Wrote: John, how significant are the SSR changes? I am worried that I hear repurchase of games. ConfusedHuh

Who said anything about repurchasing games?

ME!!!
02-20-2014, 08:16 AM,
Mike raised the point that the 4th edition had to be "backward compatible" with already issed products. That does not mean that new editions of existing products may not have to be issued (indeed, given some of the editing errata some of it may be necessary!). On the other hand, I would like to be able to avoid buying the units, maps, counters, standard rules, charts and game box all over again to get the 2 pages of edits to the SSRs necessary to update the package I already have.

I would be willing to pay something to get the update, but my days of buying something just because it says Panzer Grenadier on it are beginning to fade.
No "minor" country left behind...
02-20-2014, 09:02 AM,
(02-20-2014, 08:16 AM)Matt W Wrote: I would be willing to pay something to get the update, but my days of buying something just because it says Panzer Grenadier on it are beginning to fade.

You've got Lions of Finland, you're free to retire at any time, your mark has been made! Smile
02-20-2014, 10:47 AM,

The SSR's only change to eliminate the excess verbiage that is no longer required due to the 4th Ed. For example, we don't need to describe how special foot AT units work in assault because they are now part of the rules. No need to repurchase. Cool
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
02-20-2014, 10:49 AM,
(02-20-2014, 08:16 AM)Matt W Wrote: Mike raised the point that the 4th edition had to be "backward compatible" with already issed products. That does not mean that new editions of existing products may not have to be issued (indeed, given some of the editing errata some of it may be necessary!). On the other hand, I would like to be able to avoid buying the units, maps, counters, standard rules, charts and game box all over again to get the 2 pages of edits to the SSRs necessary to update the package I already have.

I would be willing to pay something to get the update, but my days of buying something just because it says Panzer Grenadier on it are beginning to fade.

I would love to see Mike just post all the rule books online for download so we could turn them into "living rules".
02-20-2014, 10:53 AM,
If you are wondering about the timeline, Mike told me he thought Burning Tigers and Pusan would roll out in mid-March, though he caveated it might take another week or two. And another pair a month or two after that. Start saving your nickles.
02-20-2014, 10:57 AM,
Once a game with 4th edition rules is on the market I'll add a graph to the stats page that shows monthly ratio of 3rd and 4th edition plays by our members so you can monitor the uptake.