Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strategy question: Assigning Leaders to units
01-31-2014, 11:06 AM,
Strategy question: Assigning Leaders to units
The last couple scenarios I've played (Ger vs. US and Ger vs. UK) had enough leaders for both sides so that there were never more than 2 combat units per leader. After choosing the leaders for each side, some naturally are better than others.

My question is whether there are any strategy tips/rules of thumb to employ when assigning specific leaders to specific units? Also, where to hide your "right fielders" 0-7-0's?
01-31-2014, 11:23 AM,
RE: Strategy question: Assigning Leaders to units
(01-31-2014, 11:06 AM)Dean_P Wrote: The last couple scenarios I've played (Ger vs. US and Ger vs. UK) had enough leaders for both sides so that there were never more than 2 combat units per leader. After choosing the leaders for each side, some naturally are better than others.

My question is whether there are any strategy tips/rules of thumb to employ when assigning specific leaders to specific units? Also, where to hide your "right fielders" 0-7-0's?

Dean:

If I have a good number of 81mm, I try to assign a 9(or 8)-1-0 (I use the Morale-combat_mod-morale_mod syntax) to combine them without having to stack three in a hex. This usually works ok with Heer/SS or US/British forces with plenty of good leaders.

Weaker leaders frequently get placed next to one with a morale bonus, both to assist him and, if needed, to take over for the stronger leader if killed or DD'd (being a target). Or they are are useful to move guns or to chase down fled units and bring them back into combat.

If I have a leader with a +2 morale bonus (no rabbit hole please), I almost always try to keep a superior leader with a +1 bonus adjacent to him.

Full of generalizations, I know. Other tricks (when circumstances have units in isolation - no friendly adjacent) are using combat bonus leaders to get one into another col range: e.g. a lone US HMG onto the 11; or any 6 DF value into the 7; or a Heer HMG + GREN into the 16-col.

Just some off the cuff thoughts.
01-31-2014, 05:54 PM,
(01-31-2014, 11:06 AM)Dean_P Wrote: My question is whether there are any strategy tips/rules of thumb to employ when assigning specific leaders to specific units? Also, where to hide your "right fielders" 0-7-0's?

Tips ? TIPS !

Get out on that battlefield Dean and learn your craft in 'blood' man !!!

(preferably in a Skype game with me would be handy) Wink
01-31-2014, 06:23 PM,
Vince likes to send new, young, inexperianced, low rated leaders, usually Italian (6-0-0) out into harm's way, alone, as cannon fodder to act as forward observers. These must be terminated with extreme prejudice! I suppose that is a tip. Wink
01-31-2014, 08:35 PM,
Oi !
01-31-2014, 11:20 PM,
Quote:My question is whether there are any strategy tips/rules of thumb to employ when assigning specific leaders to specific units? Also, where to hide your "right fielders" 0-7-0's?

Those "right fielders" are useful. As noted those lower valued leaders are good to some risky ventures or keeping the rear ranks moving, even in an assault those inexperienced leader provide a +1 shift to the assault. So the tip would be "use'em if you got'em" and be creative.
02-01-2014, 12:29 AM,
(01-31-2014, 05:54 PM)vince hughes Wrote: Get out on that battlefield Dean and learn your craft in 'blood' man !!!

Never, ever, trust a Brit with "flesh wounds" on the line! Tongue
02-01-2014, 12:46 AM,
"Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what's coming to ya! I'll bite your legs off!"
02-01-2014, 02:16 AM,
(02-01-2014, 12:46 AM)vince hughes Wrote: "Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what's coming to ya! I'll bite your legs off!"

Come along, Dean. He'll ::pointing to Herr Hughes' dismembered torso:: just try to bleed on our uniforms - and I've got to stitch on new rank insignia tomorrow.
02-01-2014, 05:52 AM,
Leader Tips Try and keep your commanding officer safe, never move him unstacked if their is a chance that he will get OF'd by at least a 7 shot, don't leave him alone in a hex where he may get captured by a fast moving enemy unit.

Depending on the scenario and when the death of your commanding officer happens it can stop an offense it its tracks.

I know because I was that soldierBlush