Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Light Woods In Beyond Normandy
01-26-2014, 09:16 AM,
Light Woods In Beyond Normandy
Light woods are normally 2 MP's for mech in all other supplements, but in Beyond Normandy in the terrain chart they are shown as 3 MP's ? I hadn't noticed this till Tony pointed it out in our game today. There is nothing in PGHQ errata.

Is this box-game specific to BN or a simple misprint ? (bloody annoying whatever it is as I just wished AP products would be standardised)
01-26-2014, 09:29 AM,
RE: Light Woods In Beyond Normandy
(01-26-2014, 09:16 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Light woods are normally 2 MP's for mech in all other supplements, but in Beyond Normandy in the terrain chart they are shown as 3 MP's ? I hadn't noticed this till Tony pointed it out in our game today. There is nothing in PGHQ errata.

Is this box-game specific to BN or a simple misprint ? (bloody annoying whatever it is as I just wished AP products would be standardised)

Vince,

I believe this is an early incarnation of light woods. Haven't played much BN so I have not encountered it. You could submit this to Shad for errata, but not sure when you will see it as he seems to be AWOL.

Bigger question is should this be superseded by the current light woods rules.

As for standardizing, I doubt that we will ever see this. They seem to just evolve to a different form every game.
01-26-2014, 09:36 AM,
Alan,

If nobody KNOWS for sure, then we will stick with the 3MP's as designed.
01-26-2014, 09:43 AM,
(01-26-2014, 09:36 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Alan,

If nobody KNOWS for sure, then we will stick with the 3MP's as designed.

If you are otherwise playing BN RaW, then probably best to stick with the 3 MPs. Doug McNair published 3rd ed rules for CCV2 to be used with the BN campaign and, thus, would probably have the MP = 2 for light woods, but then he interprets the entirety of the map as limiting terrain (hills): this via private communication as well as his published discourse on BN-to-3rd Ed conversion.

I prefer playing BN with RaW.

My $0.02 or two pence.
01-26-2014, 10:51 AM,
PY,

I agree on the 3MP, then there can be no arguments, so that is the path we have followed,including all hexes as limiting (until spotted by firing) as everything, by the word of 3rd ed rules is a hill.
01-26-2014, 11:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-26-2014, 11:25 AM by Poor Yorek.)
(01-26-2014, 10:51 AM)vince hughes Wrote: PY,

I agree on the 3MP, then there can be no arguments, so that is the path we have followed,including all hexes as limiting (until spotted by firing) as everything, by the word of 3rd ed rules is a hill.

Vince,

I sent you the entirety of Doug's BN 3rd ed spotting rules, but the part that pertains to this matter follows:

Hill: See TEC. Note that there are no Clear hexes on the Beyond Normandy maps; all hexes are Hill hexes because they are above 20 meters in elevation. Many Hill hexes have other terrain in them as well, and all terrain effects are cumulative. Note also that while Hill hexes are limiting terrain (8.2) they do not block LOS all by themselves; elevation lines block LOS per rule 8..4, and other terrain in a hill hex can block LOS per the TEC and the rules below.

Light Woods (green hexes): There are no regular Woods hexes on the Beyond Normandy maps; the green hexes are all Light Woods.

Movement: MP costs to enter each Light Woods hex are Foot 1, Motorized 3, Mechanized 2.

• Spotting: Light Woods hexes are treated as limiting terrain (8.2) except that just one light woods hex does not block LOS. Units can trace LOS through one light woods hex but cannot trace LOS through two or more light woods hexes.

Hope this helps muddy things. :-P
01-27-2014, 04:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2014, 04:51 AM by rerathbun.)
Just to throw more mud into the discussion, this was all discussed on Consimworld back in 2005:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@487....6d2ce/7936
and
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@487....6d2ce/8092

Putting the first post with the answer to question 2 on the second post, I've always played that:
Quote:In Beyond Normandy, units in higher elevations are considered to be in limiting terrain when being spotted by units in lower elevations, but units at the same or lower elevation are not considered in limiting terrain to those above or even with them. Beyond Normandy uses the actual elevations of the historical terrain and there is no 'Level Zero,' so elevation lines work differently than on the geomorphic maps in other Panzer Grenadier games.

Quote is from the Beyond Normandy errata on the Game's page:
Beyond Normandy [Full disclosure: I'm the one who entered that piece of errata, after discussion with Shad and other members of the General Staff.]
01-29-2014, 12:40 PM,
(01-26-2014, 09:29 AM)campsawyer Wrote: You could submit this to Shad for errata, but not sure when you will see it as he seems to be AWOL.

Absent without leave? And from whom would I need to request leave, Mr. Sawyer? Tongue

(I'm back!)
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
01-29-2014, 01:02 PM,
(01-29-2014, 12:40 PM)Shad Wrote:
(01-26-2014, 09:29 AM)campsawyer Wrote: You could submit this to Shad for errata, but not sure when you will see it as he seems to be AWOL.

Absent without leave? And from whom would I need to request leave, Mr. Sawyer? Tongue

(I'm back!)

FROM ALL OF US,

Now back to you pile of PG-HQ work Wink

Glad to see you back, staying for a while or back on the road?
01-29-2014, 11:47 PM,
(01-29-2014, 01:02 PM)campsawyer Wrote: Glad to see you back, staying for a while or back on the road?

Participating while on the road. Big Grin
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...