Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Struggle For A Commission: The Diary
02-11-2014, 06:42 AM,
RE: The Struggle For A Commission: The Diary
Is the formation rule used in Liberation? I would expect it to be since it happens at the same time as BN and the scenarios are north, east and west of BN.
02-11-2014, 06:57 AM,
Not that Ican see.

The problem with the formation rule in BN (especially when eyed as an Englishman) is although it recreates issues of effect of losses on a unit drawn from the same part of the country, it has none of the advantages the county system realised. Therefore, effectively, the British are quite weak as infantrymen once the losses come in. There is no such morale loss (barring SSR's) for any other nation that I can think of in PG.
02-12-2014, 01:10 AM,
Well that was an ongoing weakness of the Army as the campaign went forwards ultimately leading to the disbanding of one of the infantry divisions.

So can BN be played with the standard morale rules?
02-12-2014, 01:52 AM,
Session 3 - Stalemate at St.Barthelemy (scenario 28 BSS)

I started the day with two activations. First one was for 2 x INF and a leader with a combat bonus to assault a DI reduced demoralized GREN stacked with a demoralized leader. German first fire demoralized one of my INF and disrupted the other. Second was to bombard a demoralized a demoralized unit on the 42-column, again with no effect. Despite this horrible start, I was generally happy after the first turn because most of my leaders passed their confusion check and I was able to move lots of units forward on the flanks. The main problem this turn was my Americans suffered more step losses (3) than the Germans (2) when I expected I would close the gap by 2 or 3.

The second turn of the day was very long but not very bloody (Americans 1 step loss per side). This turn was uneven for me because my leaders in the back passed their confusion but those in the front generally did not. I pushed a Major forward so he could move into position so he could spot the dreaded German on-board artillery. I gambled by leaving him alone in a hex and was captured. Both my leaders leading the southern flanking moved failed their confusion rolls.

The third turn was terrible for the Americans. Fog of war occurred on the German 4th activation and of my 3 activations, only 1 amounted to something because the 4 leaders I tried to activate failed their confusion roll.

The fourth turn saw the Germans replace their troops with sharpshooters and my troops paid the price when moving closer. Americans lost 8 steps and maybe more importantly, the troops on the flanks were again stalled with almost forward leaders failing their confusion rolls.

So with 12 turns in, I believe I still have a small chance to draw but that victory is no longer possible. We'll continue for at least another two turns and see what happens.

I should also state that despite my (likely) losing big, i will rate this scenario a "4" or "5". The confusion SSR adds a lot of uncertainty. I would not mind playing it again from either side.
02-12-2014, 03:02 AM,
(02-12-2014, 01:10 AM)zaarin7 Wrote: Well that was an ongoing weakness of the Army as the campaign went forwards ultimately leading to the disbanding of one of the infantry divisions.

So can BN be played with the standard morale rules?

That's fine, but the formation system in PG represents none of the advantages, therefore, all negative nothing positive.
02-12-2014, 03:09 AM,
(02-12-2014, 01:52 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I should also state that despite my (likely) losing big, i will rate this scenario a "4" or "5". The confusion SSR adds a lot of uncertainty. I would not mind playing it again from either side.

I will rate high too, its a very clever scenario ....... After the 2nd session I thought I might have been in a bit of trouble, but it has swung again.
02-25-2014, 10:51 PM,
Part.4 : Stalemate at St.Barthelemy

This amazing scenario continues to ebb and flow.

Session 1 was even stevens but I felt comfy as the Germans. Session 2, the US applied serious pressure to the flanks putting the German positions under serious threat. Session 3, the Germans regain the advantage and seem to nullify a lot of the pressure and place themselves as 'favourites', the latest session, No.4 saw the US fightback again.

Only 3 turns were played in this session, with two of them going the distance. This made the turns long but long turns will assist the US. Daniels attack on my right flank continued, albeit weakened, but they finally got eyes on my on-board artillery set up there in the town. The Americans wasted no time in bringing OBA upon these guns and destroying the Nebelwurfer and 120mm mortar. The battle now rages around the town, with both sides sending more men to it.

On my left, the US push for the objective crossroads and made some brave ground but with some cost in loss and disorder. Again, both sides are plying men into the area for a final scrimmage. Not sure whether the American surge will be enough and perhaps just one short turn in the final 3 turns may end any US hopes. That said, the flow of this game has been sensational IMO and has been well fought by both sides. Just have to make a final date for the last session of a very enjoyable scenario.

The Germans also suffered the highest casualties in this session. They lost 6 steps to the US 4 steps. Total steps lost now stand at German 16, American 32.
02-26-2014, 12:30 AM,
Hugmenot,

If you are reading, a statistical aside for you:

The 32 steps of foot you have lost so far in this scenario is the highest amount of steps of foot lost by the US in a scenario that I have played. The previous highest of 28 was suffered by Wayne in Westwall # 3 "If Only He Could Cook", which ended as a US loss with a total of 31 steps lost.

The highest total steps lost by the US in a scenario was 45 steps, again by Wayne in Westwall # 2 "Reconnaiscance In Force" (8 FOOT, 24 AFV, 13 APC), but he went on to win that one.

The losses by the SS in this scenario (16 which includes 10 GREN) pushes SS GREN losses over the 100 steps mark in all my games to date.
02-26-2014, 12:51 AM,
Thanks for the casualty information!

It's interesting to note I would my describe style as "cautious" or "methodical" and yet I am often involved in games with high casualties.
02-26-2014, 05:29 AM,
(02-26-2014, 12:30 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Hugmenot,

If you are reading, a statistical aside for you:

The 32 steps of foot you have lost so far in this scenario is the highest amount of steps of foot lost by the US in a scenario that I have played. The previous highest of 28 was suffered by Wayne in Westwall # 3 "If Only He Could Cook", which ended as a US loss with a total of 31 steps lost.

The highest total steps lost by the US in a scenario was 45 steps, again by Wayne in Westwall # 2 "Reconnaiscance In Force" (8 FOOT, 24 AFV, 13 APC), but he went on to win that one.

The losses by the SS in this scenario (16 which includes 10 GREN) pushes SS GREN losses over the 100 steps mark in all my games to date.

I appear to very profligate with my cardboard soldiers Smile