Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Stalingrad map, or Vince should have kept his mouth shut.
10-26-2013, 01:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2013, 05:13 AM by plloyd1010.)
A Stalingrad map, or Vince should have kept his mouth shut.
Vince, many moons ago, you said that you would love to have a map of Stalingrad scaled to PG. Well, I found a map a while back, forgot about it, got a cold, found it again, got kind of bored & curious, and fired up Inkscape. With the help of Pelle Nilsson's extensions, wham-blam-shazam-zooey-kablooey, there is a Stalingrad map with the appropriate hexover. Or just be careful what you wish for next time.

The entire map has 1 inch hexes, and as such is about 53 x 75 inches of map. I bled the hexes outside of the map, so you move them and still have coverage. The map layer is unlocked. Color it as you see fit. Have fun!

PS: Drew why are SVG files disallowed?

Corrections were done 2013Nov01.

Attached Files
.zip   Stalingrad map-hexed-scaled.zip (Size: 1.13 MB / Downloads: 203)
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-26-2013, 11:55 AM,
RE: A Stalingrad map, or Vince should have kept his mouth shut.
sweet
10-26-2013, 03:25 PM,
Peter,

I'm very excited to see this ! But when I click on link, it asks what program I would like to open the link with ? (word, internet, etc etc)

I'm not very good on that kind of thing. Which one do you recomend I open it with ?
10-26-2013, 10:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-26-2013, 10:15 PM by campsawyer.)
Nice map Peter. It would make a good game coupled with scenarios and counters, much like Cassino. Can you convert to a JPG to over come the SVG issues with the site?

Vince, the file is zipped up you will need to download and the file, then right-click and select extract to get to the file. Once extracted, double-click on it and it should associate with Internet Explorer so you can view it.
10-26-2013, 10:26 PM,
Brilliant, cheers Alan
10-27-2013, 01:03 AM,
The issue with converting it would be that you cannot shift the hex grid, and you will loose the transparency. It's only a black & white map under the grid. Should someone actually wish to use it, I would expect they would color map under the grid. I'll get into more detail of what I would do, if some one really wants to know.

For viewing, I of course would use Inkscape, but then I could edit too. For just viewing, there is the Adobe SVG Viewer and the Corel SVG Viewer. Both of those allow you to open SVG files in your browser. Wikipedia has more suggestions in their SVG article. I could save it as a PDF, that would be editable, but probably larger.

I can export to any graphics format. What would those of you doing the editing like to use?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-28-2013, 02:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-28-2013, 02:55 PM by Shad.)
(10-26-2013, 01:11 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: PS: Drew why are SVG files disallowed?

Our forum software default settings disallow pretty much all file types besides JPG. It's just a question of you making me aware that you need such-and-such allowed and me going into admin to make the change.

On the upside, your SVG had a ~85% compression rate so using a ZIP was a much better way.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-02-2013, 05:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2013, 05:18 AM by plloyd1010.)
I never could leave anything alone. I noticed the layers messed up, that may have been a copy-paste problem. That's been fixed. I also added a new layer for a board grid. The idea being that it is easier to see how may standard PG boards would be required, and how many of those would be more than half full with town hexes. The grids can be moved around, but all the elements of each grid have been grouped.
11-04-2013, 08:51 AM,
Very nice thank you. It looks a lot like the map from Streets of Stalingrad.
12-20-2013, 08:31 AM,
So who's going to design the game? I agree a Cassino-type approach, with a campaign option ought to fit the bill. But that's about 25 standard maps (11x17) to cover the same area, somewhat bigger than Cassino. 3975 hexes vice 1482. no way we could sell that as one game. Perhaps two? Is there a portion that is less important and therefore could be cut? Are the approaches necessary?

Cheers,
John
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.