Poll: Apply a 3 unit modifier or not?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Modifier counts - OBA doesn't discriminate!
20.00%
4 20.00%
Modifier is ignored - design intent is only to count one side's units.
80.00%
16 80.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bombardment modifier for 3 combat units in target hex
10-09-2013, 12:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-09-2013, 12:09 AM by vince hughes.)
RE: Bombardment modifier for 3 combat units in target hex
Peter,

Shad is in controversial mode today .............. Perhaps the citizens are mirroring their parliament (senate) mischief :-)

Anyway, its a long time since we have danderised !! Been mainly in agreement of late as I remember
10-09-2013, 12:30 AM,
Yeah Vince. Funny though, ain't it? I think it has been almost a year.

A technical point: It's the House, not the Senate, who is throwing the tantrum. The Senate actually voted unanimously to get on with life. Confusedigh:
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-09-2013, 12:46 AM,
wait a minute Shad is in China, they cant throw temper tantrums over there. all must be good for the good of the people.
10-09-2013, 08:36 AM,
(10-09-2013, 12:46 AM)campsawyer Wrote: wait a minute Shad is in China, they cant throw temper tantrums over there. all must be good for the good of the people.

Inner peace...

Inner peace...

Wink
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
10-13-2013, 06:00 AM,
(10-08-2013, 08:28 PM)vince hughes Wrote: I'm just going to include this part again, because I think you missed it the first time:

the CRT Wrote:three combat units stacked in target hex (4.4)

Target hex Vince, not (how many) target units! Tongue

Bloody ell, this is hard work.

And you seem to be purposefully forgetting/ignoring or ignorant of 9.51 SAME HEX BOMBARDMENT

"If bombardment fire hits an assault hex, both the friendly and enemy units will be affected. Roll two bombardment attacks - one for each side's units - and determine column modifiers separately for each side's units"[/i] [i]

The fact the fire tables are infamous for missing out details such as a leader adding a column in an assault (but omits to mention it does not mean AFV's) seems to be guiding you along the wrong path.

RTFR !!!
[/quote]

Despite his snarky tone, Vince is correct.
Da Rules God
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
10-13-2013, 08:11 AM,
John,

It wasn't 'snarky'.

Andy and I simply muck around like that on this forum and by email ........... If anybody else thought the same, it'll be nice to correct that here and now.

KEEEL DA FEESH !
10-13-2013, 11:40 AM,
(10-13-2013, 08:11 AM)vince hughes Wrote: John,

It wasn't 'snarky'.

Andy and I simply muck around like that on this forum and by email ........... If anybody else thought the same, it'll be nice to correct that here and now.

KEEEL DA FEESH !

Ooookaaaayyyy.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
10-15-2013, 05:43 PM,
I'm extra double snarky towards Vince because I'm convinced he called my CEO to cancel my business trip so I wouldn't be able to beat him in a face-to-face PG cage match at the local pub! Angry

Then your dastardly British Airways had the gall not to fully refund my ticket! That's rubbing limejuice in the wound, you monarchist mongrel! Big Grin

PS - the real point of all this fun is to make sure PG Rules 4th doesn't require another annotated rules page! Tongue
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
10-15-2013, 06:31 PM,
Yep, bitterly (like LIME) disappointed you had to cancel. But judging by your work travels this past year or so, you'll be back this way again sometime soon I am sure.
01-03-2014, 03:44 AM,
I know what the rules might say- but I also know what indirect fire looks like up close and what it's real effect is on top of you when everyone is scurrying for the same fold in the ground to hide in.

Since hex scale is 200m2/hex and, let's say, each unit is approx 15-30 people, imagine the density 4 units (2 enemy, 2 yours = 60-120 people) looks like inside a 200m2 hex, in close assault/melee. There might be separate rolls for the effect and trying to account for friendly attempts to control fratricide, but, when all is said and done +1 column shift for 3+ units can certainly account for the lack of cover available to BOTH sides due to BOTH sides adding to the density of the target hex.... hence the presence of the "other" is making it THAT much harder to avoid being hit because the units are in the process of competing for the same cover....

Additionally, anyone who would calls down Indirect Danger Close on his own forces while they are assaulting Deserves to have the +1 column shift if it can apply. It is such an act of desperation it comes as high risk. Fratricide starts to threaten forces with normal caliber arty/mortars (155mm and below) at under 600 meters (3 hexes)... which is why I love PzGs friendly fire rule for adjacent hexes (400m) because that is realistic.

"Definition/Scope: (FM 3-60) Danger close is a term used to represent troops that are within a selected area of requested fire support. The term is included when the target is (rounds will impact) within 600 meters of friendly troops for mortar and artillery, 750 meters for naval guns 5-inch and smaller, and 1,000 meters for naval guns larger than 5-inch. For naval 16-inch ICM, danger close is 2,000 meters."