Poll: Apply a 3 unit modifier or not?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Modifier counts - OBA doesn't discriminate!
20.00%
4 20.00%
Modifier is ignored - design intent is only to count one side's units.
80.00%
16 80.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bombardment modifier for 3 combat units in target hex
10-08-2013, 07:45 PM,
Bombardment modifier for 3 combat units in target hex
Assault hex - 2 enemy platoons, 2 of your platoons.

You call down OBA.

Per rules you must roll two attacks.

Does either attack get the +1 modifier for 3 combat units in the target hex?

This came up during one of my more Stalin-esque moments with Daniel. We went with "no" for the sake of the moment, but it can be discussed.

Reasoning for yes: there are 4 combat units and the CRT doesn't discriminate against enemy/allied units.

Reasoning for no: Two rolls imply that the attacks should be calculated independent of the other side's units in the hex. Also, a player could crowd a hex with a reduced platoon to gain the modifier then drop the artillery into the hex for a bit of distasteful gaminess.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
10-08-2013, 07:48 PM,
RE: Bombardment modifier for 3 combat units in target hex
No it does not apply 2 x rolls against 2 units each (IMO)
10-08-2013, 07:52 PM,
(10-08-2013, 07:48 PM)vince hughes Wrote: No it does not apply 2 x rolls against 2 units each (IMO)

Is Mr. Rules-as-Written starting to crack? The CRT says:

Quote:three combat units stacked in target hex (4.4)

and 4.4 says:

Quote:A hex containing three combat units suffers a +1 column modifier on the Direct and Bombardment Fire tables. Leaders, APCs and unarmed transports do not count toward this penalty.

I see absolutely no wiggle room RaW! Tongue
10-08-2013, 08:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013, 08:11 PM by vince hughes.)
You are firing two shots at two different targets you buffoon !
10-08-2013, 08:12 PM,
BTW - Didn't vote on this as your failed logic and PG inexperience has not covered the reason why there is no +1
10-08-2013, 08:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013, 08:16 PM by vince hughes.)
( Is Mr. Rules-as-Written starting to crack? The CRT says: )

Sure beats "I haven't a clue what the rules are" Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
10-08-2013, 08:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013, 08:19 PM by Shad.)
(10-08-2013, 08:10 PM)vince hughes Wrote: You are firing two shots at two different targets you buffoon !

(10-08-2013, 08:12 PM)vince hughes Wrote: BTW - Didn't vote on this as your failed logic and PG inexperience has not covered the reason why there is no +1

I'm just going to include this part again, because I think you missed it the first time:

the CRT Wrote:three combat units stacked in target hex (4.4)

Target hex Vince, not (how many) target units! Tongue
10-08-2013, 08:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013, 08:32 PM by vince hughes.)
I'm just going to include this part again, because I think you missed it the first time:

the CRT Wrote:three combat units stacked in target hex (4.4)

Target hex Vince, not (how many) target units! Tongue
[/quote]

Bloody ell, this is hard work.

And you seem to be purposefully forgetting/ignoring or ignorant of 9.51 SAME HEX BOMBARDMENT

"If bombardment fire hits an assault hex, both the friendly and enemy units will be affected. Roll two bombardment attacks - one for each side's units - and determine column modifiers separately for each side's units"[/i] [i]

The fact the fire tables are infamous for missing out details such as a leader adding a column in an assault (but omits to mention it does not mean AFV's) seems to be guiding you along the wrong path.

RTFR !!!
10-08-2013, 10:20 PM,
What is this Drew? Getting Vince's dander up is my job!

Anyway, since the attack columns are determined separately, I expect the unit stacks are treated individually.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-08-2013, 11:48 PM,
(10-08-2013, 08:10 PM)vince hughes Wrote: You are firing two shots at two different targets you buffoon !

I prefer to say I am rolling for collateral damage of the bombardment (on my troops); not firing at my own troops.

Although I apply the +1 column modifier only to the side that is overstacked, I can see how the stacking limit could apply to both sides. Easy enough to clarify in version 4.