Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panzer Grenadier: An Army at Dawn: Tunisia 1943
10-06-2013, 01:30 PM,
Panzer Grenadier: An Army at Dawn: Tunisia 1943
Another cool game!

10-07-2013, 12:58 AM,
RE: Panzer Grenadier: An Army at Dawn: Tunisia 1943
North Africa with less sand, more rocks!
11-03-2013, 05:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2013, 05:26 AM by Brett Nicholson.)
Just curious if anything of the 1st and 2nd battles of El Alamein are going to be covered in this set as 'Desert Rats' leaves off with the Gazala battles beforehand. Or will the El Alamein battles be covered in even another desert war boxed set. I know both 'Afrika Korps' and 'Desert Rats' jump around with some scenarios with locations and dates as early as 1940 and then later to 1941 and 1942. I guess that I am asking if it is going to be strictly, as titled, in Tunisia and only the final battles? Either way I anticipate it's release.
11-03-2013, 12:33 PM,
From what I understand this will follow the book. This means that this will feature mostly American battles in Tunisia and Operation Torch. I would image another game for the rest of the German/British face off in North Africa.
11-03-2013, 11:31 PM,
(11-03-2013, 12:33 PM)campsawyer Wrote: From what I understand this will follow the book. This means that this will feature mostly American battles in Tunisia and Operation Torch. I would image another game for the rest of the German/British face off in North Africa.
That sounds reasonable enough for a counter mix focusing on the American participation in the desert war though it would be interesting if there was a Free French contigent as well. I haven't read the book so I don't know what to expect in regards to that. Anyway, thanks for your input. I guess we will just wait and see what pans out. I suppose both battles of El Alamein combined would warrant a boxed set of it's own.
11-04-2013, 01:38 AM,
(11-03-2013, 11:31 PM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 12:33 PM)campsawyer Wrote: From what I understand this will follow the book. This means that this will feature mostly American battles in Tunisia and Operation Torch. I would image another game for the rest of the German/British face off in North Africa.
That sounds reasonable enough for a counter mix focusing on the American participation in the desert war though it would be interesting if there was a Free French contigent as well. I haven't read the book so I don't know what to expect in regards to that. Anyway, thanks for your input. I guess we will just wait and see what pans out. I suppose both battles of El Alamein combined would warrant a boxed set of it's own.

Good point though Brett !

We do NEED (want) an El Alamein set (with its own maps) and no, I won't design it Shy
11-04-2013, 02:18 AM,
(11-04-2013, 01:38 AM)vince hughes Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 11:31 PM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote:

Good point though Brett !

We do NEED (want) an El Alamein set (with its own maps) and no, I won't design it Shy
Tunisia may have been the end of Afrika Korps but the second battle of El Alamein would have the last stand of Ariete Division. Perhaps at least a book with counters as the maps could be drawn from the 'Afrika Korps' and 'Desert Rats' maps. But need counters for the Shermans and the occasional Tiger tank platoon or two which did arrive in limited supply in 1942 for the DAK.
11-04-2013, 04:35 AM,
I didn't think the Tiger was in the desert war ?
11-04-2013, 04:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013, 05:10 AM by Brett Nicholson.)
(11-04-2013, 04:35 AM)vince hughes Wrote: I didn't think the Tiger was in the desert war ?

I was watching a British program about tanks in North Africa a few nights ago and it claimed that there were a few Tiger Is in the later part of it 42-43. That despite their dreaded firepower did not perform well mechanically in the desert, but were present. Funnily enough the documentary also stated that the PzIVs had less armor protection than the PzIIIs, contrary to the PG stats. I didn't think they were present either until watching that program. I had thought the most powerful German tank available at the time was the PzIVF2 but this show claims otherwise.

Actually, I just looked it up on Wikipedia and it backs that up, that they made their appearance in late 42 in Tunisia.
11-04-2013, 07:42 AM,
(11-04-2013, 04:57 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote:
(11-04-2013, 04:35 AM)vince hughes Wrote: I didn't think the Tiger was in the desert war ?

a few Tiger Is in the later part of it 42-43.

And the funny part is when these Tigers found French WWI vintage armored cars on their way, in the Tunisian mountains...