Poll: Would you accept repackagings?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes
38.89%
7 38.89%
no
61.11%
11 61.11%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revision, re-package, reissue
09-23-2013, 02:28 AM,
RE: Revision, re-package, reissue
I agree with Shad. If I am buying an all-in-box type game I don't want to have to own 3 other all-in-box games to play it. That just sounds like a money racket to me to be blunt.
09-23-2013, 06:38 AM,
Most of the repackaging has been for only Minor improvements at full price. I mostly As such I see it more as a money game than a system addition. If there was an "upgrade" option I would be much more interested. The upgrade package would be maps not already in other releases, and the book. Getting a reissue of the Edelweiss counters is precisely why I have not gotten the 3rd release. Airborne 3 should have included the map, rather like Kakoda Trail. AF2 (I count LoF as AF0). Seemed to be a bit of a cheat that way. Digital SW certainly was.

That is why I voted no.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-23-2013, 07:24 AM,
I have no philosophical problem with using the print-on-demand model to make improvements to each game as it is re-released.

Having made the decision to collect Panzer Grenadier, I'd grumble a bit, but buy the new ones (anyone want to sell or trade Lions of Finland?).

My only objection would be practical -- would that practice reduce sales by (1) potential buyers waiting for a new-and-improved version and (2) old PG campaigners losing interest due to jealousy over the newbies getting 'better' editions.
09-23-2013, 08:26 AM,
Eventually chasing after the "new and improved will turn off even the most avid collector. Liberation is a mew product and does not replace Beyond Normandy in any way. At this point the collection of maps and counters will make it possible to do new scenarios quite easily without the need for more units or more maps (except for the Corps level games that Vince has asked for...).

If, on the other hand, we start to see a revised version of Battle of the Bulge or Elsenborn Ridge or Winter Soldiers, given the extensive coverage we already have I would begin to turn a cold shoulder to it at some point.

Luckily, there is plenty that hasn't been touched (the Balkans, China, Burma, the second half of 1943 post Citadel on the Eastern Front, Dragoon, Shingle, Avalanche itself for Pete's Sake!, etc.) that should preclude the urge. Plus, even with print on demand it is clear that keeping things in print is at least a logistical fuss so that we don't see everything.
No "minor" country left behind...
09-23-2013, 10:53 PM,
As I came to the party relatively late, The two revised/repackaged items I bought were Invasion of Germany and Edelweiss, IoG because I happened to be playing a scenario out of it (From West Wall) and I got it for a great deal, Edelweiss because the original was highly rated and the counters are used in a lot of other games. I was happy with that.

But as I have almost bought all of the existing, in-print boxed games (no PacTheater yet or Kursk), I could not justify buying the same game again, no matter how "improved" it was.

Speaking of boxed games that require other games, I think scenarios that require 2 sets of the counters (I'm looking at you Beyond Normandy and Desert Rats) is a kind of sham too. I know there aren't that many scenarios that require this but when you read the scenario and it sounds interesting only to find out that you need to have 2 copies, it kind of irritates me. Dodgy

Although I guess that with all the other games in the series, I am sure that that the counter requirements could be handled by the other games.
09-24-2013, 05:53 AM,
I too don't like repackaging/revision just for cash flow purposes's. I see no reason to buy the new Airborne or Edelwiess.
I would consider buying a map bundle if all the maps from the board games were reissued to be compatible with each other. By this I mean by theatre I don't expect desert maps to be compatible with jungle.
09-24-2013, 09:26 AM,
(09-23-2013, 10:53 PM)tlangston28 Wrote: I think scenarios that require 2 sets of the counters (I'm looking at you Beyond Normandy and Desert Rats) is a kind of sham too.

You won't see any more of those. Dr. Mike is on record that they were a mistake.
09-24-2013, 02:07 PM,
Tank battles required 5 sets of counters for one of the scenarios. An incredible number of army (not guard) Katyushas were called for.
09-24-2013, 11:26 PM,
When I play solo I have, at times, permitted myself to use a substitute counter and merely remembered what they are supposed to be. It's cheating but I would rather play what I have even if the materials have to be one off.
No "minor" country left behind...
09-25-2013, 12:50 AM,
I voted yes from the standpoint of keeping older titles in print. Let's face it. nobody can really afford EF Deluxe or something like that. Then again it's a fact of life that things are only going to get more expensive for less total product as time goes by.