Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Korean War: Pusan Perimeter
02-02-2014, 10:45 AM,
RE: Korean War: Pusan Perimeter
Moving into the 3rd and final game in the series, I call volume 3 on the boards as well as the supplement or volume 4. I decided to just complete the whole series while the 10,000 pages are still fresh in my head, after all I don't want to have to reread them all in a years, so the work follows continues.
02-17-2014, 10:24 AM,
Yes!

http://www.avalanchepress.com/gamePusan.php
02-23-2014, 10:35 AM,
I spent hundreds of hours and reading thousands of pages of material to finish the Korean War series out and its going to be an excellent game series within the PG series. It was a daunting task but it will be the first complete platoon level game on the whole Korean War that I know of.

I did it is such away that it will not repeat taking the same hill 57 times but will touch on one or two major actions from most engagements to take you through the complete experience of the Korean War with game scenarios and situations that are fun to play. When I make a scenario, I make it so I would like to play it, that way I know each one is good if not excellent. Each scenario also tells a story. Good stuff! Smile
02-23-2014, 10:36 AM,
I kept telling everyone I wasn't going to do but I was working on the project the whole times, as not to get distracted.
02-23-2014, 12:21 PM,
Jay, just out of curiosity, what were your primary sources?

I know next to nothing of that war - conflict - ugh... Police action? If i had been asked to sum up the whole thing, it would be that the north invaded the south and pushed them hard. The UN came in and pushed them back to the Yalu, whence the Chinese showed up and pushed the UN to the 38th parallel, where things stagnated
02-23-2014, 01:43 PM,
(02-23-2014, 12:21 PM)Dean_P Wrote: Jay, just out of curiosity, what were your primary sources?

I know next to nothing of that war - conflict - ugh... Police action? If i had been asked to sum up the whole thing, it would be that the north invaded the south and pushed them hard. The UN came in and pushed them back to the Yalu, whence the Chinese showed up and pushed the UN to the 38th parallel, where things stagnated

Don't worry, I've got you covered. Wink

It's proper name is "The War To Resist U.S. Aggression And Aid Korea".

From a sign at the entrance to a museum with the same name in Dandong:

...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-23-2014, 04:40 PM,
(02-23-2014, 12:21 PM)Dean_P Wrote: Jay, just out of curiosity, what were your primary sources?

Some of my sources:

* U.S. Army in the Korean War: South to the Naktong, North to the Yalu

* U.S. Army in the Koreas War: Ebb and Flow

* U.S. Army in the Korean War: Truce Tent and Fighting Front

* This Kind of War

* The Forgotten War, America in Korea 1950-1953

* From Pusan to Panmunjom

* History of the U.S. Marines in the Korean War

* US Army Forces in the Korean War 1950-1953

* Armour of the Korean War 1950-1953

* The Korean War 1950-1953

* A whole bunch of Internet sites including: ROK, CCF, NKPA formations, Armor and units, Patton tanks, helicopters and so on.........
02-24-2014, 01:14 AM,
That looks like a solid list. I have some of them. Too bad I can't get it. I'm sure down the road we will see scenarios from The Gauntlet, Chosen, Chip-yong-ni, The King of the Hill the Commonwealth Brigade fought on, Inchon, Taegon and all of that. Too properly do the CCF counterattack would take two games IMHO. One one 8th Army in the west and one on X Corps and the Marines in the east. Chip-yong-ni would be an excellent book subject.

In another thread somebody queried the T-34/85 AP values being different from RtB. Just mentioning it here as a back stop.
02-24-2014, 01:41 AM,
(02-24-2014, 01:14 AM)zaarin7 Wrote: In another thread somebody queried the T-34/85 AP values being different from RtB. Just mentioning it here as a back stop.

That was me. As I don't have the KWPP counters, I don't know for certain what those counter values will be: I just asked Jay based on the image at: http://www.avalanchepress.com/gamePusan.php

As another example, German captured 76.2mm guns (in Edelweiss) have 12-22 BF and 6-5 AT values, but the Soviet owned values are 10-22 and 5-6 respectively. Unless a misprint, I assume these changes reflect German manufactured ammunition for the weapon and/or better German training with it.
02-24-2014, 02:20 AM,
(02-24-2014, 01:14 AM)zaarin7 Wrote: That looks like a solid list. I have some of them. Too bad I can't get it. I'm sure down the road we will see scenarios from The Gauntlet, Chosen, Chip-yong-ni, The King of the Hill the Commonwealth Brigade fought on, Inchon, Taegon and all of that. Too properly do the CCF counterattack would take two games IMHO. One one 8th Army in the west and one on X Corps and the Marines in the east. Chip-yong-ni would be an excellent book subject.

In another thread somebody queried the T-34/85 AP values being different from RtB. Just mentioning it here as a back stop.

Yeah, all those covered so far but in a total of three games and one supplement. It may take a while to see them all published however. You don't need two games to cover the CCF. One worked fine, it was more scenarios. Counter limitations of 352 counters per game not counting markers and 88 per supplement was one of the hardest things to manage but it all worked.