Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mapboards
05-14-2013, 01:00 AM,
Mapboards
I am building a larger size version of Red Steel, a game a friend highly recommended on BGG.

Redoing the counters, charts, and rulebook should be fairly easy but I have limited experience doing maps. The final map will be 33"x51" (50% size increase from the original) and I was wondering if anyone has experience making large maps and want to share some tricks and tips.

Thanks!
05-14-2013, 02:54 AM,
RE: Mapboards
Duhnt Da Da!

Well Dan, how deep do you want to go? Mostly I've focused on counters, but I have done a couple maps for different games.
The quickest option may be HexDraw. It is fairly easy to use, and has been quite stable for years.
My current Favorite is Inkscape, with the Pelle Nilsson map extension. I like it because the finished map is scaleable. Working with the different layers is quite easy. Work through the BGG thread for more information. Pelle also has a counter plugin which you may find useful.
The drawing tool in LibreOffice is good. The zooming is a little clunky. Customizing colors and bitmaps is a little difficult. Once you master it, the results are acceptable.
At some point, you will want to visit John Cooper's game site. I found[/size] the terrain tiles especially useful.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-15-2013, 12:14 AM,
Thanks for the HexDraw link; I will take a look.

My questions:

1. I have a choice of scanning the existing map in sections and then stitching the sections together before I increase the map size, or simply starting from scratch. Which technique gives better results? Time is not an issue.

2. I typically print PnP maps to heavy cardstock which I then glued to Readi foam poster boards. While there is a little bending of the board over time, I like the results when the board is 11"x17" or smaller. I doubt this technique will work with such a large map however as I would expect a lot more noticeable bending of the board. Any recommendations of how to have a somewhat rigid backing? Or should I stay away from rigid backing?

Thanks!
05-15-2013, 09:14 AM,
In answer to your first question, I would ask 2 others.
  1. How prominent are the creases in your maps? If not too significant, I would consider a high resolution scan. When I scan a board, I usually do it at 600dpi.
  2. How well does you system manipulate large graphics files? This is where it gets tricky. The individual scans will be quite large. When I do a PG board, I trim and stitch 6 scans. That makes 400+ MB open file.
If either of those questions result in an unpalatable answer, consider making a new map.

Assuming you made a scan, I like to use GIMP to stitch the scans together. I put each scan on a different layer. Move the layers up and down as needed. make an alpha channel layer. Trim the canvas to that layer when you are done. I'll often change the resolution of the final image to make it more manageable, but still visually acceptable.

Large prints are a quandary. I've found Poster Razor to be a useful tool for sectioning a large map. If you want to be particularly creative, you could make paper map, then mount it like Avalon Hill used to do with their games.

The this is another question of how deep do you want to go. Foam boiard should work fine. I would probably section the board and make hinges with white paper tape.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-15-2013, 11:32 AM,
I appreciate the information; it's more than enough to get me started!