Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cold War PG!
03-30-2013, 11:48 AM,
RE: Cold War PG!
(03-30-2013, 07:40 AM)zaarin7 Wrote: For Korean starters IMHO and recognize YMMV I say start with one of three things, Naktong bulge, Chosen reservoir or Chipyoung-ni. There's armor for one or both sides, artillery and airpower. In the first there is US Army, Marines, South Korean and North Korean. For the second there is US Army, Marines and Chinese. For the third there is US Army, French and Chinese.

Starting with the initial invasion and only have North Korean and South Korean troops would be a mistake I think. Unless you up through Task Force Smith and the 24 Infantry Division at Taijon.

My main book on Korea is "The Forgotten War".

Thanks you for the recommendation on The Forgotten War, I just purchased that on Amazon.com at a good price, hopefully that will fill in a few gaps!
03-30-2013, 12:10 PM,
Jay,

Wasn't thinking a box game. More like one of the large 30-40 scenarios supplements with counters (and maps a la KT)
No "minor" country left behind...
03-30-2013, 02:40 PM,
No, if you are going to do The Korean War, you have to do it right! Smile
03-31-2013, 12:50 AM,
Jay,

I know and certainly would like that in the best of all worlds but my concern remains marketability. I think that a KW supplement even with counters and a couple maps is more likely than a full boxed game unless the Iron Curtain stuff has been selling better than I expect.

Of course, I suppose all that may change pending the announcement on Monday, right?
No "minor" country left behind...
04-02-2013, 02:50 PM,
So far, the North Korean invasion has been the most difficult to put together but the most interesting part of the Korean War as well.

The whole Korean War would take about 2-4 boxed games and at least one supplement to do, unless I cut corners. 8-12 maps, 900-1000 counters, 150-200 scenarios but I might have to scale it back a bit! This is the hardest part and hurts what is left of my brain! Smile

Anyway, good stuff one way or another.

I have been reading many internet sites but also books: This Kind of War, From Pusan to Panmunjom, U.S. Army Forces in the Korean War 1950-1953, The Korean War 1950-1953 and now just received in the mail: The Forgotten War! Another wed-site has a book I can read with 1200 pages. Lots of reading and some books conflict with each other.

But I have move forward with some of the initial invasion scenarios just in case. As stated before, the North Korean invasion is the most interesting part and the least know subject to the West, then the rest of the Korean War Campaign.
04-02-2013, 03:09 PM,
At this early stage of your research, Jay, do you see geomorphic or distinct maps being more suitable?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
04-03-2013, 01:10 AM,
Geomorphic Maps Andrew!
04-03-2013, 03:38 PM,
The first game I can make work the counter limitations: ROK, NKPA and U.S. Army but after that is gets very difficult, even with just the American for the second and third games you would have: Naval, Air-Force, Marines, Army, Airborn which could fill the counter limits right there and that is before you add the ROK, NKPA, Chinese, British, Turks and about 14 more commonwealth nations. It seems very difficult but I won't worry about that now, the first game is going to be a real gem and that is what I'll focus on.

I can’t believe how disorganized and weak the first U.S. units were in their first engagements with the NKPA. A shocker but they rebound.
04-03-2013, 08:38 PM,
Jay, the answer to the weak American units is demilitarizion. After WWII the closest units were occupation units in Japan. These were not combst experienced troops. By this point the bulk of the experienced units were gone. Either decommissioned or gutted by the big desire for the men to be home.

As for a game, you may want to think of a modern version given what is going on right now. Undecided
04-04-2013, 02:17 AM,
Alan, so far I don't see anything modern about The Korean War other than a few jets! Equipment is pretty much WWII with a few newer models of armor.

But trying to do the Korean War in one box, is almost like trying to do WWII in one box, it just is not possible, so I'll start with one game and see how it received before going to the second, third and so on. But the first game will be very good one way or another. I never know how interesting it could be until reading and researching about it. Funny how the battle of initial invasion don't get a lot of attention but they are so cool! Then American initial response with weaker units to begin with. Very back and forth stuff. OK, back to work!