Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arctic Front Deluxe - Initial Positions
02-20-2013, 07:46 AM,
Arctic Front Deluxe - Initial Positions
Just a thread in which I will post images of how I setup the defenders, and maybe add some comments.

My hope is this will help others who, like me, struggle setting up the defenders.

Please feel free to comment or add your own images.
02-20-2013, 07:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM by Hugmenot.)
RE: Arctic Front Deluxe - Initial Positions
Scenario 01 - Finnish Riviera

I was inspired by Enrique's AAR and decided to set up my Finns aggressively. A very good idea in retrospect because this turned out to be a very interesting contest.

Finn Setup - bottom is north, left is east

02-20-2013, 07:59 AM,
Scenario 03 - The Sausage War

A tiny scenario which required less than 5 minutes as to how I would set up the defenders!

Setup

It's a better than average beginner-vs-veteran scenario in my opinion if one is willing to play with terrain mods.
02-21-2013, 12:22 PM,
I spend a lot of time--probably too much--setting up my units, so I'm always interested in seeing how others are setting up. I don't have Arctic Front yet, just Eastern Front.
02-21-2013, 12:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-21-2013, 12:46 PM by Hugmenot.)
One thing which may help is to post one picture of your setup and ask for feedback. I did that in this Fall of France #11 and received very useful feedback from veteran players.

Another thing which might be interesting is to say which scenario you will play next and ask how players would set up the defensive side. Do allow a few days in that case.

And last, if you are interested in a veteran versus newcomer game over Skype, just start a thread indicating you interest. I expect you would get several responses.

(And where is Vince with his promised article explaining how to play over Skype?)
02-21-2013, 02:34 PM,
Very very similar to how I setup this scenario (#3: The Sausage War) a couple of weeks ago when I played it.

(02-20-2013, 07:59 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Scenario 03 - The Sausage War

A tiny scenario which required less than 5 minutes as to how I would set up the defenders!

Setup

It's a better than average beginner-vs-veteran scenario in my opinion if one is willing to play with terrain mods.
02-22-2013, 01:31 AM,
Daniel,

Re: The Sausage War

If I recall the "Red" Finns who will be attacking you have a 6/5 morale. Despite the short scenario length I kept my defenders in command control as success would not be to deny them access to the road but to have sufficient counterpuch to get them off the road once you really knew where they were coming.

As the "red" player looking at your setup I would certainly choose to hit one wing of the setup with a small thrust at the center to tie up the "white" Finns who are not in command.

I played a similar type of scenario recently from Saipan (#3 Probing the Marines) and used the command control over the defenders to great advantage. There I made a mess of the probe by not using the Japanese armor to its best advantage but the concept remained the same.

Still, I can't imagine a thoughtful setup that could possibly result in an advantage to the reds sufficient to permit them to gain a victory in this one. With an 80% victory rate for the whites in the database I expect that the other players have found this has been the case.
No "minor" country left behind...
02-22-2013, 04:57 AM,
(02-21-2013, 12:22 PM)Tony M Wrote: I spend a lot of time--probably too much--setting up my units, so I'm always interested in seeing how others are setting up. I don't have Arctic Front yet, just Eastern Front.

Tony, Nothing wrong with spending time on set up its time well spent. I sometimes rush it which is why I have a losing record. Sad