Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carpathian Brigades - Initial Positions
01-02-2013, 01:00 PM,
Carpathian Brigades - Initial Positions
Just a thread in which I will post images of how I setup the defenders, and maybe add some comments.

Hopefully, this will help others who, like me, tend to struggle setting up the defending sides.

Please feel free to comment or add your own images.
01-02-2013, 01:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2013, 02:28 PM by Hugmenot.)
Scenario 01 - Initial Position
Scenario 01- Italian Feint

Polish setup before adding the leaders and entrenchment markers

Polish setup after adding the leaders and entrenchment markers

The position after 5 turns (minus the Italian mortars and artillery which were further to the West)

I stopped the scenario after 13 turns because the Poles were ahead 24 to 0 in terms of victory points.
01-02-2013, 09:37 PM,
RE: Carpathian Brigades - Initial Positions
I don't have the scenario handy, so can I ask for post of the VC's and number of turns?
01-04-2013, 04:20 AM,
Victory points are awarded for step losses and control of the entrenchments.
20 turns (the information is on the scenario page: http://www.pg-hq.com/library.php?type=sc...id=CaBr001).

Scenario 2 is similar to scenario 1 with the following exceptions:
- the roles are reversed (Italians will be defending)
- Not all Italian units will be able to set up in an entrenchment
- No minefields
- No anti-infantry wire
- Higher Attacker to Defender Firepower ratio than in scenario one
- Attackers (Poles) have higher morale than the defenders (Italians).

All these factors ensure it will not be just a repeat of scenario 1 with roles reverse. In my opinion, the attackers in scenario 1 are too weak to accomplish their mission, and maybe too strong in scenario 2.

I will try an idea Wayne described in his AAR and split the Italians into two groups located very far apart. Not sure yet if I will break the Poles into two attacking groups; I first need to calculate how many turns they would spend moving if I keep them in one group and if that leaves them enough turns in combat to have a reasonable shot at success.

I will post an image of the initial setup late evening.
01-04-2013, 04:34 AM,
In deed a tough one. Not much OBA I suspect. Bad morale for the Italians to 7/6 possibly 8/6.

As the Italian player I would have to ask myself why make this attack as there will be heavy casualties in the assault. I also don't think the Italians are good for stronghold assaults.
01-04-2013, 06:58 AM,
Many of the scenarios in Carpathian Brigade fall into the category of "This was planned but called off". In several cases, like in scenario #1, calling it off was a good ting.
No "minor" country left behind...
01-09-2013, 06:00 AM,
I don't have the module but there is one thing I noticed that may or may not work? The HMGs are off to one side in hex 1628, would it be better to put them in the center (1527) since you have wired all around to give the attackers pause at least one hex away. That gives the HMGs the ability (with the right leader) to provide 'pass-thru' fire to any direction since they would have to stop with an intervening hex being clear? That would put the guns and 81mm in a tough spot (unless you three-stacked them, but that would depend on OBA...).

I may be wrong but just a thought.
01-09-2013, 07:00 AM,
Tony,

Your reasoning is sound and I would have considered placing the HMG in the middle if it was not a night scenario with visibility limited to 2 hexes for most of it.

Also, your comment about OBA is interesting because I have yet to clearly define my guidelines about when the extra risk (+1 column shift on the OBA) outweights the benefits. For example, is the benefit of three stacking units in a town hex worth the extra risk of the +1 column shift from OBA? Sadly enough, despite being a mathematician and trained as an actuary, I have been too lazy to model the whole thing. Or maybe not sad, games should not be work!
01-09-2013, 07:49 AM,
Daniel,

I did not know it was a night scenario. with regards to OBA, If that hex is a town hex, it may be worth the three stack as it is still a net -1 shift in the defenders favor. from what I have experienced with OBA, unless you are able to get to the 30 column (or which ever column starts the "no miss" rolls) three-stack in a town may not be a bad option, especially if the OBA or on-board Arty is not sufficient to get to that "magical" column.

Also, what i meant by the right leader is that the HMGs could be combined with any of the front line infantry stacks when pass-thru firing with a leader combat modifier +1 or 2.

Hope it is fun!
01-09-2013, 08:56 AM,
The -1 DRM for morale recovery attempts in towns is another reason to triple-stack with less apprehension.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...