Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
River Crossings
01-02-2013, 10:35 AM,
River Crossings
Well, I am admittedly only on page 6 of the rulebook....and have not looked at the rules for a looooooooong time, but its starting to come back to me. problem is, even when i had read them through, id only played briefly so I by far had no mastery of the game.

I've just reached 5.7 River Crossings: '....No matter the size of the river, any unit that crosses must stop moving once it leaves the river hex.'

Since the section talks about not just bridges, but fords and areas eligible. For crossing by scenario designation, I'm a bit befuddled. Must the unit stop in all three situations: Bridges, fords, and eligible water crossings?

I can see it for fords and wet tracks eligibility, but it makes no sense to me for a bridge. You're on a road, on a bridge, and back on a road but come to a screeching halt?
"YOU ARE NOT BEATEN UNTIL YOU ADMIT IT. HENCE, DON'T..." -- General George S. Patton, Jr

http://www.militarywargaming.com
01-02-2013, 10:42 AM,
RE: River Crossings
(01-02-2013, 10:35 AM)whiterook Wrote: Well, I am admittedly only on page 6 of the rulebook....and have not looked at the rules for a looooooooong time, but its starting to come back to me. problem is, even when i had read them through, id only played briefly so I by far had no mastery of the game.

I've just reached 5.7 River Crossings: '....No matter the size of the river, any unit that crosses must stop moving once it leaves the river hex.'

Since the section talks about not just bridges, but fords and areas eligible. For crossing by scenario designation, I'm a bit befuddled. Must the unit stop in all three situations: Bridges, fords, and eligible water crossings?

I can see it for fords and wet tracks eligibility, but it makes no sense to me for a bridge. You're on a road, on a bridge, and back on a road but come to a screeching halt?

I must point out that this sentence goes with the one before it. This goes with crossing the at places other than bridges and fords.

Depending on scenario instructions, units may be able to cross rivers at places other than bridges and fords on their own, or they may need the help of an engineer (ENG) unit. No matter the size of the river, any unit that crosses must stop moving once it leaves the river hex.
01-03-2013, 01:39 AM,
If you cross by bridge you keep moving.

Remember, bridges are usually road hexes and therefore if entering a bridge hex via a road hexside, you pay road movement cost. If entering a bridge hex via a non-road hexside, you pay the non-road points value.

One other thing to note. The STOP moving rule refers to units CROSSING the river. If a unit is moving along a river bank and has not crossed it, then it would not have to stop moving.
05-08-2016, 12:11 PM,
Everything in this thread makes perfect sense. However, in setting up Scenario #3 from La Campagne de Tunisie, the only river on the map (#87 from Conquest of Ethioppia) is defined as a "major river", and there are no ENG units. There are no fords identified in the instructions, but there are a couple of river hexes that depict rocks in the middle of the river......are those supposed to be fords? Otherwise, it would appear that the only crossings would be at bridges. Why then do the special rules give "river crossing numbers" for the unit types if they are not needed for bridge crossings?
05-08-2016, 11:40 PM,
Only crossing is at the bridges.

Please ignore the river crossing numbers; I should have removed them from the scenario as you pointed out.