Poll: For 40 PG scenarios, 4 maps, and 330 laser-cut units direct from AP a fair price before shipping would be:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
sub-$20
0%
0 0%
$21 to $30 range
0%
0 0%
$31 to $40 range
5.00%
1 5.00%
$41 to $50 range
25.00%
5 25.00%
$51 to $60 range
25.00%
5 25.00%
$61 to $70 range (current actual price)
45.00%
9 45.00%
$71 to $80 range
0%
0 0%
$81 to $90 range
0%
0 0%
$91+ range
0%
0 0%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PG Pricing
11-16-2012, 06:39 PM,
RE: PG Pricing
PY,

GC is not worth it to those of us that have all they want in PG and are not simply fanboys of everything the company releases.

Using moi as an example. I have everything PG I need to date, and in general, like to wait until there are 3 or 4 items I want from the game co for the sake of postage costs. I also have the main sets of GWAS (Med / Jutland and Cruisers) and thats my lot there. I did try the 1866 but am not a fan of the battle system really (the same one they use to cover RAW and ACW). This therefore makes the cost of the GC especially to a foreigner prohibitive.

I did however recommend it to Tony Langston as he was a person new to PG and looking to expand his collection many fold. I think in these circumstances GC is a very good investment. I guess, to those on home soil who have perhaps 3 of APL's games series (eg. PG, WAS any, RAW etc) it is also a good buy anyways as the $35 will be covered with the many buys over the course of a year.

This all reminds me that I really MUST get a game of GWAS and or RAW/ACW/1866 sometime just as way of a brief interlude !
11-17-2012, 12:12 AM,
(11-16-2012, 06:39 PM)vince hughes Wrote: PY,

GC is not worth it to those of us that have all they want in PG and are not simply fanboys of everything the company releases.

Vince,

Understood. I was simply thinking and suggesting (given the context of this thread) that it might be interesting to know the percentage of folks who do/did use GC and what net savings they may have attained if so. But, I'm not losing any sleep over the question!

I never considered GC since I tended to buy during the bigger sales events and wasn't interested in any other APL products than PG, though admittedly never worked out whether I would have come out ahead or not. Guess I just didn't like the idea of feeling obligated to buy in order to justify the up-front expense.
11-17-2012, 02:20 AM,
(11-17-2012, 12:12 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: [quote='vince hughes' pid='3677' dateline='1353055187']
Guess I just didn't like the idea of feeling obligated to buy in order to justify the up-front expense.

LOL - Never thought of it that way. I suppose you do feel an obligation to USE it once acquired.
11-17-2012, 04:14 AM,
(11-16-2012, 06:39 PM)vince hughes Wrote: PY,

Using moi as an example. I have everything PG I need to date, and in general, like to wait until there are 3 or 4 items I want from the game co for the sake of postage costs. I also have the main sets of GWAS (Med / Jutland and Cruisers) and thats my lot there. I did try the 1866 but am not a fan of the battle system really (the same one they use to cover RAW and ACW). This therefore makes the cost of the GC especially to a foreigner prohibitive.

I did however recommend it to Tony Langston as he was a person new to PG and looking to expand his collection many fold. I think in these circumstances GC is a very good investment. I guess, to those on home soil who have perhaps 3 of APL's games series (eg. PG, WAS any, RAW etc) it is also a good buy anyways as the $35 will be covered with the many buys over the course of a year.

This all reminds me that I really MUST get a game of GWAS and or RAW/ACW/1866 sometime just as way of a brief interlude !

Just so you know, I do have Pacific Crossroads... I am just saying... Angel And I know that Tigers don't float! Big Grin

Actually, I did talk with Alan about playing a GWAS game and we were discussing how to do that via Skype - we had some ideas but nothing came to fruition.

If interested - I would rather start a separate topic or e-mail about that.
11-17-2012, 04:42 AM,
PG pricing for Gold Club Members:

Regular Merchandise and accessories 20% off

"Early Order" merchandise 30% off

Black November merchadise 44% off

Smile Emoticon
11-17-2012, 09:56 AM,
Size of Sword of David? When I came with my estimate for S o D, my info was from the Sept 2011 description of the game, the size of Cassino, but with cardboard maps...I figured that meant as many as 16 maps in the game. Wonder when it shrank.
11-21-2012, 01:53 AM,
It probably shrank as production realities and market size shrank. SoD may end up being a multi-volume release to save on postage.

As for the pricing, I'd prefer $51 - $60 range, and based on what's there, I don't think $61 - $70 is excessive at all. The maps are printed on a better stock than GMT maps (except the mounted ones), the counters are very nice at the expense of being produced in a fairly expensive manner and 40 scenarios is a lot of game play. As we say at VPG "The Gameplay's the Thing." There's also a difference when AP is producing a game that will sell maybe 1,000 copies in its 1st year, although hopefully more as it slowly earns back a reputation and gets back in with distributors.

GMT is printing in China (cheaper) and also in bigger quantities. On some games (Twilight Struggle), this has worked out great, and on others (see their sale page), they are left holding the bag and have to try to sell them cheaply because they are taking up warehouse space. Print on Demand is more expensive than printing 3,000 at a time, and I'm willing to pay a bit more to ensure I get these products. They are much more likely to hit the table than a lot of other games I buy.