Poll: The December scenario of the month should be...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Sinister Forces #39
61.54%
8 61.54%
Winter Soldiers #11
0%
0 0%
Winter Soldiers #22
23.08%
3 23.08%
Winter Soldiers #23
15.38%
2 15.38%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SotM] 2012 December - Scenario Selection Voting
12-24-2012, 12:47 PM,
RE: [SotM] 2012 December - Scenario Selection Voting
(12-24-2012, 12:35 PM)Poor Yorek Wrote:
(12-24-2012, 11:48 AM)campsawyer Wrote: As for the swamps, remember they are frozen but still a 1 hex visibility.

Thank you for the unnecessary reminder, I can read. You might note, however, that the movement factor for those frozen swamps is 2 and that heavy snow reduces movement allowances for all units by 1 (so CAV can only move through those 2 hexes per turn). How exactly do you propose to move that mass of Germans up that single road with any alacrity? I think I've made it demonstrably evident, objectively speaking, that the Soviets in my set-up would be able to reinforce the cross-roads more rapidly than the Germans could advance (in single file) up that N/S road. All one has to do is count. Should the CAV charge up that N/S road ahead of their infantry support, they will be exposed to severe OF given that there are two Soviet HMG's there with a Soviet captain having a combat bonus: the cross roads holds 5xINF + 2xHMGs with 2xINF just two turns to their east and NW respectively. Perhaps had the Soviets not had that ldr with a combat bonus, I might have "moved in" a bit tighter.

Perhaps the best one could do is send the CAV due north along the board seam: it takes them two turns to reach adjacent to the road; the westernmost Soviet INF reach 1209 in two turns: all other Soviet units in two turns would be well onto board 9.

I'm not suggesting that my set-up is perfect, but I think your criticism of it objectively fails. The Germans cannot get close enough in range to interdict the Soviets movement with OF as you suggest (save for my paragraph two stipulation). The German HMGs, snow movement of 1, can only move up the road at one hex a turn, so that firepower will take far longer to arrive at the cross roads than the Soviet reply to the threat axis. Should the CAV move independently of its infantry support, it exposes itself to the CAV col shifts for Soviet OF/BF.

Maybe instead of making verbal criticisms, you should try setting it up and let the Germans make a go at it. Just play the Russians fairly as well.

Poor, I must point out that if you post something that someone can have a counterpoint. I am sorry if you are feeling this is personal, but I am trying to point out is that having the Soviets dispersed is that they can be subjected to unnecessary fire from the Germans as well as not being able to apply maximum firepower to defend the key position. As I said nothing is set in stone and yes the Soviets can move back, but this will deny the Soviets firepower in the advance while the Germans can move in mass.

As for setting up and playing, I am currently halfway through this in a Skype play. I am surprised how quickly the Germans can move through the road and swamp. Within four turns they are able to engage.

As for my comment on the swamp, it looked like you were going to use the Soviets on board 6 to fire or at least spot for BF on the Germans. As long as the Germans hold there fire until they close on the crossroads the units on board 6 look like they would not be engaging. But you may have something else in mind.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [SotM] 2012 December - Scenario Selection Voting - by campsawyer - 12-24-2012, 12:47 PM