Poll: The December scenario of the month should be...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Sinister Forces #39
61.54%
8 61.54%
Winter Soldiers #11
0%
0 0%
Winter Soldiers #22
23.08%
3 23.08%
Winter Soldiers #23
15.38%
2 15.38%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SotM] 2012 December - Scenario Selection Voting
12-24-2012, 10:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-24-2012, 10:46 AM by Poor Yorek.)
RE: [SotM] 2012 December - Scenario Selection Voting
(12-24-2012, 10:20 AM)campsawyer Wrote: With that defense being strung out, I would have the whole lot of Germans go right after the crossroads as that it the key to any German win. Cut that force to pieces and that gets them a minor victory with no Soviets on the northern part of the road. The Soviet left and right are going to have a job to get back to help to defend.

Firstly, "cutting that force to pieces" is not as simple a matter of doing as it is writing. Secondly, the Soviet "right" (2xINF) is only a few hexes away (with movement westward along a road); and those 2xINF "reinforcing elements" on the board edge are also quite close. Thirdly, the "Left" would be able then to counter-attack using the road to move at least as quickly eastwards as the Germans could advance northwards (particularly given the northerly advance on Board 9 would be through LOTS of frozen swamp save for the N/S road). I don't believe that the Soviet "left" in my set-up is as isolated as you suggest given observation of an all-out German move north along the road or even via a "right hook" approach. {guess I should articulate for others that right/left are based on north being "up."} In point of fact, the westernmost Soviet units are no farther from the cross-roads than the entering SS units.

One might advocate a hold-the-crossroads with everything, sure. One of the nice things about the SotM is that we get to see what different approaches yield. Still, I don't usually like to button-up the defense completely.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [SotM] 2012 December - Scenario Selection Voting - by Poor Yorek - 12-24-2012, 10:41 AM