Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panzer & two expansions
10-30-2012, 01:37 PM,
Panzer & two expansions
I don't own them but for those who do, what do you guys think about Panzer and the two expansion games from GMT Games?

From their web-site, it showed 17 pages of rules for the basic game and another 47 pages for the advance game.

They look interesting but it seem like they would just be more games to sit on my shelf!
10-30-2012, 11:49 PM,
RE: Panzer & two expansions
That's kind of where I am with them. I already play PG and (when I can), Combat Commander. I played the original Panzer back in the day and liked it a lot. Now, it would just be fighting for time/space.

At the same time, it is 50% off time at GMT, so I might pick them up cheap.
10-31-2012, 12:08 AM,
(10-30-2012, 01:37 PM)JayTownsend Wrote: I don't own them but for those who do, what do you guys think about Panzer and the two expansion games from GMT Games?

From their web-site, it showed 17 pages of rules for the basic game and another 47 pages for the advance game.

They look interesting but it seem like they would just be more games to sit on my shelf!

Hello Jay,

Bought all three and find they are fun to play. I'm a solo player, so that has a big influence on my opinion.

I purchased the original Yaquinto versions when they were new, and gave up on them pretty quickly due to over complication and less than impressive components.

The GMT series is very manageable and easy to walk away from and pick back up a couple days later. It is very much an attractive "miniatures" sort of game with unit details on individual cards and the counters acting as single vehicles or infantry "stands." The counters are "virtually" single-sided as there are different units on each side and damage is noted with marker counters. They would be perfect for laser cutting since there is no front or back. The rules could easily be used with FoW mounted minis.

Bottom line: They are expensive, high quality and fun to play. I'll go for Panzer before ASL when I want a squad level game on the Eastern Front. Looking forward to early war add-ons and saving up my pennies since I have to buy both PzG and Pz series now.

Hope that helps. Cloaking back to lurker now.
10-31-2012, 08:25 AM,
(10-31-2012, 12:08 AM)dmedesha Wrote: Hope that helps. Cloaking back to lurker now.

dmedesha outta NOWHERE! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
10-31-2012, 10:21 AM,
(10-30-2012, 01:37 PM)JayTownsend Wrote: I don't own them but for those who do, what do you guys think about Panzer and the two expansion games from GMT Games?

Well,I can tell you this the new version is much improved over the old one and it is much better simulation of tank warfare than PG, but it is a different scale. Both Panzer and Combat Commander are very good squad/individual unit without the complexity of ASL.

Panzer also has some very good tables of organization for the units as well as good DYO scenario development. You will need to get all three games to appreciate the Eastern Front as well as a new American/British version coming out soon.
11-01-2012, 02:14 AM,
Not sure I want that kind of detail: (miniatures" sort of game with unit details on individual cards) but it's interesting to see what people like and don't!
11-01-2012, 05:43 AM,
I'm kind of caught between taking advantage of the GMT sale and buying more X-Wing Miniatures stuff. The budget may not handle both.
11-16-2012, 03:34 AM,
I played the first scenario with the basic ruleset last night and found it insanely light and very fast. I don't need a ton of crunch, but I wasn't very engaged with the basic ruleset and have immediately started to see what the advanced rules have to offer.

I would personally not recommend this just for the basic rules. There are only two basic scenarios out of the box and I don't think the expansions add to that.
11-16-2012, 04:04 AM,
I just ordered Panzer during the recent sale, risking only $60 on this system. If I like it, great and if not, I'm not out a ton of money. My only previous experience with the system is a copy MBT that I picked up many moons ago. I had trouble grasping some concepts, and the addition of air power certainly didn't help me in that regard. I'm hoping that this time around I can get a better handle on things.

Another thing to note is that I have now sold off my ASL collection. At the time I picked up MBT, ASL was my mainstay tactical game. I suspect that I was so involved with ASL that trying to grasp the MBT rules and nuances was too much me me to handle. My current tactical system is Panzer Grenadier (d'oh) so any additional complexity that Panzer throws at me shouldn't overwhelm me.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
11-16-2012, 05:55 AM,
(11-16-2012, 03:34 AM)awdougherty Wrote: I played the first scenario with the basic ruleset last night and found it insanely light and very fast. I don't need a ton of crunch, but I wasn't very engaged with the basic ruleset and have immediately started to see what the advanced rules have to offer.

I would personally not recommend this just for the basic rules. There are only two basic scenarios out of the box and I don't think the expansions add to that.

I would agree with you on this and add that the advanced rules can be added as wanted. No need to add all at once and only some if you want. I found this makes it easier to learn and play. Although I have not had much time to do that lately.