Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saipan 1944
02-23-2014, 10:27 AM,
RE: Saipan 1944
Saipan will come out again for the general public after Gold-Club members have first shot at it for lower Gold-Club membership prices. At least that is what I understand. I renewed my membership in November and its saving me a lot of money.
02-25-2014, 02:01 AM,
(02-22-2014, 09:24 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote:
(02-22-2014, 07:46 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: And 3) offered to every owner, not just Gold Club members.

I read the one post from AP that 'Conquest of Eithiopia' will only be available direct. This Gold Club thing is nice for the people that have that extra cash flow to spend on toys. I think 'Saipan 44' will be available at retailers from what I read with the 4th edition rules but honestly, AP seems to be quite desperate in getting people to spend money, a lot of money just to have something someone else doesn't have. Gold club gold schmub ....

I'd like a fancier house, a car for each person in the house and only the best of everything. But unlike those people that do have it, I don't earn enough (not through lack of effort though, my hours put in are quite large). That's the relaity of the capitalist World. We all have different levels of affordability not to mention different priorities of where to put cash we actually DO earn.

If there is to be a GC, then there has to be something for it right ? If I work hard for a crust and can afford a little extra luxury, then by God I'll have it where able :-)
02-25-2014, 08:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2014, 08:45 AM by Poor Yorek.)
Quote:... a lot of money just to have something someone else doesn't have.

Maybe the Glorious Leader, currently reigning in the USofA, can decree The Affordable Panzer Grenadier Act or, as it will be known colloquially, Avalanche Care. Think of it as "redistribution of forces." Better watch out if you are on the Top 10 Users by Collection Coverage list.

The phrase "only be available direct" in reference to Conquest of Ethiopia doesn't mean only GC members can purchase it (does it?). I took it to mean that it will not be available through distributors, but I certainly concede that I am not privy to APL's product distribution policy.
02-25-2014, 06:45 PM,
My comment was out of line and out of context. I guess that I am wary of ordering direct from overseas as I am reigning in Germany and that I deal with very affordable German retailers. But I really want 'Conquest of Eithiopia' sometime in the future. As far as being in the "top 10 users by collection coverage" goes I only own 7 games; far from collection completion. However, this post concerns 'Saipan 44' and should probably stay focused on that. I hope Jay and AP continues to work on Pacific theater games and books and that interest in that PG theater continues to grow so that those don't have to be bought direct. Honestly, if I thought I was going to be ordering a lot and direct then the Gold Club would make sense but I only get a few PG products a year. My apologies for my earlier comment.
02-25-2014, 10:22 PM,
(02-25-2014, 06:45 PM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: My comment was out of line and out of context. I guess that I am wary of ordering direct from overseas as I am reigning in Germany and that I deal with very affordable German retailers. But I really want 'Conquest of Eithiopia' sometime in the future. As far as being in the "top 10 users by collection coverage" goes I only own 7 games; far from collection completion. However, this post concerns 'Saipan 44' and should probably stay focused on that. I hope Jay and AP continues to work on Pacific theater games and books and that interest in that PG theater continues to grow so that those don't have to be bought direct. Honestly, if I thought I was going to be ordering a lot and direct then the Gold Club would make sense but I only get a few PG products a year. My apologies for my earlier comment.

No need to apologise for your comment IMHO. Perhaps not in the right context for this folder but you make a viable point. I dislike two tier systems but understand why business use such systems as it guarantees cash flow.
02-25-2014, 10:29 PM,
Brett,

You are not out of line, only expressing your concerns/feelings. We all have our own circumstances and you should not apologise if that's how you felt. I and some others may disagree, but that does not mean you have to tow our line ?

Have you considered a relative ordering Ethiopia for you in the US and then picking it up when you travel there next. Yes, it may well be a way in the future, but that's still less time than never getting it at all. Plus of course, it is not even in print yet, so they may well be a few months down the line anyway.

A final option is that a good few of these 'Yankee-Home-Boys' that frequent here must holiday to Europe occasionally. If they visit England or Germany, maybe they would be kind enough to bring a copy for you (with payment arranged accordingly).

On the subject of ordering from the US, I have found that unless you are buying in bulk and you happen to escape customs charges (I usually do for some reason - eg: My Lib 44 came straight to the door whilst Wayne's got a customs charge), then it is usually best to order from a retailer in your own country. The big PG year AP put out was the only reason I joined GC because its savings on mass buying and extra goodies would eclipse even buyin from a local shop. Next year, dependent what APL have in the pipeline, I may or may not re-new the GC sub.
02-25-2014, 10:37 PM,
(02-25-2014, 10:22 PM)waynebaumber Wrote: No need to apologise for your comment IMHO. Perhaps not in the right context for this folder but you make a viable point. I dislike two tier systems but understand why business use such systems as it guarantees cash flow.

I agree, we all have our own takes. Before I got GC this year, I was frustrated at the extras that are given, but understood why and said nothing as that is the way with things. If these guys pay a special membership, then good luck to them. A bit like being a season ticket holder at a sports team. The better your seat, the more the season ticket.

However, seeing as extras are available, it would be nice if perhaps some kind of token or bar code could be slipped into games and where a player buys enough games etc, he can use these tokens to get the freebie goodies (a bit like Action Man or GI Joe with the collectable stars on each packet). None of this would help Brett as he buys a box at a time and plays the whole thing through before the next purchase.
02-25-2014, 10:52 PM,
Thanks Vince and Wayne, I really don't think I will go out of my way or budget with trying to get a copy of 'Conquest of Ethiopia'; if it's unobtainable from a retailer here then I will forfeit it. I really don't have anything to complain about; between 81 scenarios left of 'Eastern Front', 21 of 'Guadalcanal' and one last of 'Airborne IE' I have plenty of PG to keep me busy the next year with those titles alone. Then there's plenty of shared matches ahead between you both in the North African theater. I also don't see myself rushing out to get a 4th edition game just to get the new rulebook. From what I understand, at least at the moment, that is the only way to get the 4th edition rules. I've only been playing with 3rd edition and annotated rules less than a year now. Anyway, I do hope a re-release of 'Saipan 44' will boost further interest of the Pacific conflict, as I already stated. Since I do not own 'Saipan 44' yet I suppose I will benefit by the new one having extra counters and scenarios when I can afford to add it to my modest collection. There is so much of the Pacific conflict to fill in the broad gap between 'Guadacanal' and 'Saipan' and quite a few before those. I hope Jay continues to get commissioned to work on that though I know he is very busy with the Korean conflict at present.
02-25-2014, 10:57 PM,
Still on tomorrow morning I take it ?

7am my time ?
02-25-2014, 11:04 PM,
(02-25-2014, 10:57 PM)vince hughes Wrote: Still on tomorrow morning I take it ?

7am my time ?

That's an affirmative!