Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saipan 1944
02-09-2013, 12:26 AM,
RE: Saipan 1944
(01-04-2013, 10:15 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: I broke down for Christmas and purchased DAK'44 for TheDoctor (having wrapped it in a large box loaded down with a few bricks!!). He is now happily decimating British armor at very long sighting ranges (sorry, Vince) before school starts up again.
Are the scenarios primarily static defenses?

I am playing Carpathian Brigade and 5 of the first 6 scenarios were box defenses. There is enough variety (entrenchments, minefields, wires, hills) to make them interesting but I long to try something more fluid in the desert. That and the fact the order of battle for Dak '44 looks quite interesting.
02-11-2013, 12:42 PM,
I finally received my copy of Saipan! The counters are beautiful and the maps are not nearly as dark as some of the pictures I had seen posted.
02-11-2013, 04:07 PM,
Glad it finally arrived for you!

This might help as well:

Clarifications:

LVTs, Landing-craft & Ships:
Ships of opposing sides cannot be in the same hex as to avoid the water assault combat confusion. Landing-crafts & Amphibious units can be in assaults with ground forces when then hit beaches.

LVT 4 = APC
LVT A1 & LVT A4= AFV

LVT 4 & LVT A4 are open top.
LVT A1 is closed top.

LVT 4 = 1 step units.
LVT A1 & LVT A4= 2 step units.
LVT A1 & LVT A4 both have inherent leaders.

Ocean traveling LVT 4’s do not suffer leader decapitation while at sea, which would make no sense at all, as other landing-craft would still head for the landing beaches regardless if the Colonel in another craft was killed or not and most likely his death would be acknowledge for some time.
LVT (A)'s should have been given an amphibious armor symbol.

Caves:
Units inside caves do not get First Fire on the attackers.
The attacker assault gets a -2 column shift for units that are inside the
cave only. This means a split column assault resolution similar to direct
fire.
The side with worst combat results, including Morale checks, must leave cave hex, this includes units in an out
of the cave. Other side gets Free Shot.
Notes on Caves:
Between, Mike, John and myself I think we finally have the cave rules that make the most sense in Saipan, correcting the Guadalcanal cave rules. I really like them as written in Saipan. They are similar to entrenchments as stated but not exact as I never put the fire-first rule into them. My reasons were this; caves are already too strong and true all types of Engineer units (FLM, ENG & Satan) cancel the fire-first benefit out, also caves are limited to an enemy approach to only the opening of the cave, so in reality some units could find a cave before the unit occupying see their attacker, unless there is unit in the same cave hex but not inside. Caves now only receive a -2 modifier.
Hidden rules as optional notes:
One of the biggest things for me was having the Hidden Rules as optional, which allows both, Face-to-Face or Solitary/Solo players to pick either method of play.

Counter names do not align with the scenario counter lists.
* HMG = WPN
* ENG = PIO
* MK7 = M7

Saipan Errata:

• Scenario #3: Probing the Marines

Under Victory Condition the Japanese section should say:

(The Japanese win if they eliminate three or more American steps)

• Scenario #7: Throw Them Into the Sea!

The Japanese setup should say: (Enter anywhere on the north, east or south edges of map 82). Not map C.

• Scenario #10: Tanks in the Jungle

Under Victory Conditions:

(Hex 0610 is considered on map 80)

• Scenario #12: Aslito Airfield: The Army Arrives

Shows a Marines symbol but should be and Army symbol in setup.

• Scenario #13: The Marines Try Aslito Airfield

The scenario should be 20 turns long not 10.

• Scenario #15: Counter-Landing!

Japanese setup should include “at any ocean hex” at the end of the sentence.

• Scenario #25: Armor After Dark
Japanese setup, Enter anywhere on the north edge of map 82 on Turn 1, not board C.

Scenario #36: Shifting The Line, states 30 miles between Tinian and Saipan which is incorrect, as it only 3 miles.
02-12-2013, 11:45 AM,
I tried to walk players through Saipan, battle by battle with real time frames of the actuals conflicts to add the to tense feeling that ever action should bring the gamers table. After 40 scenarios, I hoping it leaves the PG gamer wanting more action. Hopefully soon we will be able to continue this action with additions which will add a lot of value to owning Saipan.
02-23-2013, 10:28 AM,
I can't believe I am the only one to play scenario #10: Tanks in The Jungle so far? I thought everyone would love this scenario, if anything, for the large number of Japanese tanks in it. I remember reading and studing about this engagement and thinking it would be a blast to writte up and play. Maybe because it is kind of large with four maps and over 100 counters but I look forward to AARs about it! Smile
02-23-2013, 11:46 AM,
Jay, the next time I venture into the Pacific I will be playing this one. I've recently become reacquainted with Road to Berlin so I'm currently slogging through western Poland/eastern Germany. Right now, there's just something about the relentless Soviet march west and the desperate defense of the high command that have my attention.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
03-15-2013, 02:43 AM,
30 more scenarios will use the Saipan products from my third release and 3 more scenarios from my forth product will use Saipan materials. So you guys will get a lot of use out of Saipan for sure.

Happy gaming!
03-17-2013, 04:43 AM,
Some of the counters from Saipan! Saipan has one of the best mixes of unit types in any Pacific battle.

Attached Files Image(s)

03-17-2013, 04:45 AM,
Dang, I tried to put it on as an attachment not embedd it on the posting! Sad
03-17-2013, 12:25 PM,
Lets try again to get the whole picture!

Attached Files Image(s)