Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saipan 1944
01-04-2013, 03:05 AM,
RE: Saipan 1944
I just wonder whether, mechanically, they can produce a new printing of the maps that have a better contrast balance, or whether a new master would have to be created. Retail copies are now appearing, and eventually a new print run will be called for.
01-04-2013, 06:42 AM,
I know there are some dark areas in the maps in some of the thicker jungle areas but with both the numbers and the lines on the hexes I am able to see things just fine on under lighting or sunlight so I don't see it being a big deal that some are making it? I am not just saying this because I am the designer but I have seem worst and better, it falls in the middle as far as hex lines go. The Trails in the larger hills are the hardest to find but after a play or two it becomes automatic where everything is. So play in decent light and there should be no problems. Another words get out of the basements guys!
01-04-2013, 06:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013, 06:54 AM by Michael Murphy.)
As far as I'm concerned, the map is a bit dark, but remains quite functional. I sometimes have to look twice to be sure whether I'm within the hex or not. No matter, it isn't a big deal to me.

My real issue is determining which hexes are Jungle and which are Light Jungle. Seriously, how many trees in the hex does it take to make the hex into either light or regular jungle? This problem isn't new for me as I've had the same problems with the Kokoda Trail maps.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
01-04-2013, 07:12 AM,
Mike, sounds like you have hit the real reason for disorientation in the jungle. It's not just for the cardboard. Big Grin
01-04-2013, 07:20 AM,
Well, yeah! Confused
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
01-04-2013, 08:48 AM,
(01-04-2013, 06:53 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: My real issue is determining which hexes are Jungle and which are Light Jungle. Seriously, how many trees in the hex does it take to make the hex into either light or regular jungle? This problem isn't new for me as I've had the same problems with the Kokoda Trail maps.
I do long the good old days when each hex was of a single color except maybe some blue on the hex sides to denote rivers!

I think wargame maps have yet to reach the right balance between realism and ease of use. Not speaking about just AVP but rather in wargaming in general. I guess it's just another application of "there ain't no such things as a free lunch".
01-04-2013, 10:15 AM,
(01-03-2013, 09:19 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Hopefully, like PY, they will eventually continue to at least play, even if they do not buy.

Since Vince summoned me by invoking my moniker, I should probably confess that I broke down for Christmas and purchased DAK'44 for TheDoctor (having wrapped it in a large box loaded down with a few bricks!!). He is now happily decimating British armor at very long sighting ranges (sorry, Vince) before school starts up again.
01-06-2013, 11:56 AM,
Saipan Terrain chart:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/15220...size=large
01-24-2013, 02:47 PM,
After playing all 40 scenarios of the finished version of the Saipan product, I can say overall I am very pleased with Saipan. There is a little errata, between design-development-production but I have posted all that in my designer notes and all the websites as well, so if you follow that and my clarification notes you shouldn’t have any problems playing though this Pacific Battlefield. Saipan added a lot of new unit types and older ones as well, American: INF, HMG, ENG, ENG FLAME, 81mm, 60mm, 37mm, 75mm, 105mm, 155mm, M5, M3/75mm, M4, M3A1 Flame (Satan), Mk 7, LVT 4, LVT (A)-1, LVT (A)-4, LCVP, LCI(G), Trucks, Jeeps, P-47, B25, P-38, Corair (F4U), Hellcats. Japanese: INF, HMG, SER, SNLF, ENG, 81mm, 20mm, 25mm, 37mmAA, 37mmAT, 47mm, 70mm, 75mm, 75/88, 105mm, 120/10, 150mm, Type 95, Type 97, Type 2 KA-MI, Shinhoto, Daihatsu, Casemates, Zero, Betty, Trucks and Caves. Many of the units come in both Army or Marines or both Army and SNLF versions. The scenarios range in many different types and situations including actual Amphibious Landings which I am very satisfied with in the PG scale and I feel they worked out excellent for what I was trying to model without too many extra rules. I think it gives a good bloody feel for the actual battle. The scenarios are a nice mix of unit types and battle situations and in no way reflect a boring image some gamers might have had of a PG Pacific game, in fact just the opposite, it seemed to have more action at a faster pace and that is what I was trying to achieve in the historical way.

For those who have or will purchase Saipan, there is another product in the works that will add a lot of value to owning Saipan, in what I think will have my best scenarios yet, as far as interest, balance, subject and fun game play.
02-08-2013, 07:50 PM,
I received "Saipan 1944" and I have some doubts.

TERRAIN
- Is hex 0808 of board 80 a lake?
- Is there a road or a trail in hexes 0501, 0502 and 0503 of board 80?

AMPHIBIOUS MOVEMENT
- Amphibious units have two movement types: aquatic and terrestrial (# / #). I think the number before the dash is land movement allowance and the number after the dash is water movement allowance. Right?
- The rules do not indicate if it is possible aquatic and terrestrial movement in the same action segment. I play as if only a movement type is possible in each action segment (for example, an amphibious unit can not move in the ocean, land on the beach and penetrate in the island in the same action segment). Right?

WRECK MARKERS
- The special rule 3 of scenario 1 indicates: "Place wreck markers for every AFV step lost on a beach hex (16.3 applies)". Is mandatory to place a marker for each LVT 4 destroyed on the beach? In my opinion the answer would be "yes", because a LVT 4 is an APC and therefore an AFV. Right?
La guerra è bella, ma incomoda.