Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saipan 1944
01-01-2013, 03:40 PM,
RE: Saipan 1944
(11-17-2012, 07:55 AM)vince hughes Wrote: This post killed on CSW before it spreads:

-----------"No, APL Support, you are wrong. My Saipan maps are terrible. I can barely see the hex grid on the clear terrain hexes and see none in the jungle terrain. All four maps are unusable. I tried the tipping trick and no hexes appeared. I just looked at my 1940 maps...they are beautifully functional...visible hex grids on all 8 maps. Will you send me Saipan maps with a clearly visible hex grid? Failing that, may I return the game for a refund" ----------

It appears that in some cases there was very little quality control of components. This is saddening when added to the development issues already raised by one play by a poster here on the very first scenario. Lets hope it was either one odd foul map set or a very hard to please customer.

The post is mine...it has resulted in me being banned from all Consimworld AP threads. And, I still have unusable maps.

Mike B. said I could return the game for a refund. From a PG completest standpoint that is not a desirable option; I own probable every other PG product and several free downloads. If only 350 were printed and sold this is a very rare game and maybe a collectors' item. From a customer service standpoint this is as bad as it gets.

I offered to pay for another set of maps. Or, a file from which I could print usable maps. Mike B did not respond to my email.

Over the weekend I saw another copy of the game. My buddy's maps were just as illegible as mine. Two other gamers agreed they could not see the hex grid in the jungle.

Two things. First, I was unaware AP is now going to such lengths (deleting posts and banning posters) to stifle criticism of their products. I suppose this is a likely response if you have abandoned customer service.

Second, all I want are usable maps. Any suggestions? Any one with good maps willing to scan and send me copies?
01-02-2013, 12:24 AM,
I can't speak to the deleted postings but as for the maps, all have issues of dark hexes and hard to read numbers and grid lines. I don't believe you will find a better printing of the maps in the games.

One possible solution, is to scan the maps and reprint. I have found in scanning for the forum the maps look better afterwards. I did a sample print just to see and they do look better to see the hex grids and numbers. But this is not optimal as you don't like DIY stuff.
01-02-2013, 02:58 AM,
(01-02-2013, 12:24 AM)campsawyer Wrote: I can't speak to the deleted postings but as for the maps, all have issues of dark hexes and hard to read numbers and grid lines. I don't believe you will find a better printing of the maps in the games.

One possible solution, is to scan the maps and reprint. I have found in scanning for the forum the maps look better afterwards. I did a sample print just to see and they do look better to see the hex grids and numbers. But this is not optimal as you don't like DIY stuff.

Remind me...what is "DIY"?
01-02-2013, 03:04 AM,
DIY = Do It Yourself

For example, Waltzing Mathilda is a PDF supplement which includes 2 countersheets you must print, assemble, and cut in order to play.
01-02-2013, 04:11 AM,
(01-02-2013, 02:58 AM)John Alsen Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 12:24 AM)campsawyer Wrote: I can't speak to the deleted postings but as for the maps, all have issues of dark hexes and hard to read numbers and grid lines. I don't believe you will find a better printing of the maps in the games.

Remind me...what is "DIY"?

Sorry, as Hugemnot says "Do it Yourself". Some people don't like to make, or in this case remake the maps/counters. But it does work to brighten up the maps. i don't think we will see reprints on this maps in the immediate future.
01-03-2013, 12:54 AM,
The profit margin is probably so limited that reprinting and re-mailing maps is out of the question. Hopefully, this will alert Avalanche to the need to make sure the finished maps match the proofs in the future. Its a shame.
01-03-2013, 07:08 AM,
(01-03-2013, 12:54 AM)larry marak Wrote: The profit margin is probably so limited that reprinting and re-mailing maps is out of the question. Hopefully, this will alert Avalanche to the need to make sure the finished maps match the proofs in the future. Its a shame.

So why don't they up their profit margin as a contingency? Especially when they are not willing to address the issue via any semblance of customer service.

What might APL's excuse be for not providing electronic files so I can spend my money to have a playable game? I also offered to buy new maps.

There are avenues to fix the problem.
01-03-2013, 09:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2013, 09:20 AM by vince hughes.)
(01-03-2013, 07:08 AM)John Alsen Wrote:
(01-03-2013, 12:54 AM)larry marak Wrote: The profit margin is probably so limited that reprinting and re-mailing maps is out of the question. Hopefully, this will alert Avalanche to the need to make sure the finished maps match the proofs in the future. Its a shame.

So why don't they up their profit margin as a contingency? Especially when they are not willing to address the issue via any semblance of customer service.

What might APL's excuse be for not providing electronic files so I can spend my money to have a playable game? I also offered to buy new maps.

Sadly John, I have heard of another tonight (to remain nameless) who has binned PG due to what they believe was shabby treatment. Not just buying it, but playing too as the game now leaves a bad taste in their mouth. They haven't posted it anywhere..... Just quietly left. Hopefully, like PY, they will eventually continue to at least play, even if they do not buy.
01-03-2013, 09:33 AM,
(01-03-2013, 09:19 AM)vince hughes Wrote:
(01-03-2013, 07:08 AM)John Alsen Wrote:

Sadly John, I have heard of another tonight (to remain nameless) who has binned PG due to what they believe was shabby treatment. Not just buying it, but playing too as the game now leaves a bad taste in their mouth. They haven't posted it anywhere..... Just quietly left. Hopefully, like PY, they will eventually continue to at least play, even if they do not buy.

So APL's customer service has cost them another PG customer. Its a head-scratcher.

Myself, I still think PG is the best system out there. I am not going to forsake it because of one bad experience/product.
01-03-2013, 09:54 AM,
On another note, there will be more value to owning Saipan sometime this years as there will be more products related or requiring Saipan soon!