Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotting enemy in a limited terrain hex from an elevated spotting hex
04-20-2024, 05:51 AM,
Spotting enemy in a limited terrain hex from an elevated spotting hex
Had a discussion come up in a game this afternoon about spotting units in limited terrain (i.e. a FIELD to be exact).  Usually, they can only be spotted if the spotting unit is within 3 hexes from it.   However, what happens if the spotting unit is at an elevation of 20-feet (i.e. on top of a hill)?   Normally, spotting units get a +6-hex increase in their spotting range (unless there are weather and/or night issues).   However, do they also get an increased range to spot units in limited terrain.   My gaming buddy and I came to a consensus that limited terrain is limited terrain even if being spotted from elevation (i.e., both cases would have to follow under the 3 hex limit to being able to spot).    

What does everyone else think about this situation?    Would you handle all limited terrain spotting situations equivalent (i.e., regardless of spotting unit elevation)?
Tambu and ACav like this post
04-20-2024, 06:03 AM,
RE: Spotting enemy in a limited terrain hex from an elevated spotting hex
(04-20-2024, 05:51 AM)brad_newcomer Wrote: However, do they also get an increased range to spot units in limited terrain.   
No.

(04-20-2024, 05:51 AM)brad_newcomer Wrote: My gaming buddy and I came to a consensus that limited terrain is limited terrain even if being spotted from elevation (i.e., both cases would have to follow under the 3 hex limit to being able to spot).
Right choice.
Tubac52, Miguelibal, treadasaurusrex And 7 others like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
04-20-2024, 06:33 AM,
Great.  Thanks!!!!
ACav likes this post
04-20-2024, 11:56 AM,
In real world terms, you can see the copse of trees from even further away, but you certainly can't see into them any better just because you're up high. Smile
Tambu, Tubac52, ACav And 6 others like this post
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
04-20-2024, 01:40 PM,
.... and THAT makes sense.

GG
Tambu likes this post
04-23-2024, 11:49 AM,
(04-20-2024, 11:56 AM)Shad Wrote: In real world terms, you can see the copse of trees from even further away, but you certainly can't see into them any better just because you're up high. Smile

Now how about making things muddy.
If trees are involved, woods for example, being higher would be a disadvantage because the the canopy gets in the way.
If it's about buildings. Looking obliquely down into the town or village, it looks about the same as looking from the same elevation.
If looking into a field, being higher would likely be use full as one can look into the field better from above.

So in case you want different types of limiting terrain, that's where I would start. I can think of making things complicated.
cjsiam and brad_newcomer like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
04-23-2024, 10:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2024, 10:22 PM by brad_newcomer.)
(04-23-2024, 11:49 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(04-20-2024, 11:56 AM)Shad Wrote: In real world terms, you can see the copse of trees from even further away, but you certainly can't see into them any better just because you're up high. Smile

Now how about making things muddy.
If trees are involved, woods for example, being higher would be a disadvantage because the the canopy gets in the way.
If it's about buildings. Looking obliquely down into the town or village, it looks about the same as looking from the same elevation.
If looking into a field, being higher would likely be use full as one can look into the field better from above.

So in case you want different types of limiting terrain, that's where I would start. I can think of making things complicated.

Agreed.  Lol  Cool   I tend to overcomplicate things whenever I can also.   I think this is how our thought process went also.   Then ...... we settled on "limiting terrain was limiting terrain" and moved on with the game.  I guess I rationalize any weirdness like this as a "foginess of war" issue and hope it all comes out in the end of a game when these things average out for both side.    Heck, if I wanted a stupid level of rules granularity, I'd be playing ASL instead of PzG.   Lol  Big Grin
ravensworth, treadasaurusrex, Tubac52 like this post
04-24-2024, 12:17 AM,
.....and there you have it!

GG
brad_newcomer and ravensworth like this post
04-24-2024, 02:35 AM,
(04-23-2024, 11:49 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: If looking into a field, being higher would likely be use full as one can look into the field better from above.

/pushes glasses up nose

ACTUALLY,

Assuming your field is 500 flat meters away, the wheat is a meter tall, and my eyeballs 2 meters above the ground, the angle formed by my gaze is 0.115°

Give me a 20 meter observation platform in the same position and the angle formed by my gaze is now 2.405° .

In other words, you're still not seeing anything in the wheat mate Tongue

https://www.calculator.net/right-triangl...lator.html

NOW, if I was ONE KILOMETER high and looking at a wheat field 500 meters away then my gaze angle would be 63.458° which would be enough to see something beyond the wheat wall between me and whoever is hiding in there. Big Grin

But that would be silly!
brad_newcomer, cjsiam, ravensworth like this post
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
04-24-2024, 05:04 AM,
....and there you have it mathematically sorted out!  Cool

GG
ravensworth, brad_newcomer, cjsiam like this post