Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally I have Polish Exiles, now to mess names
05-08-2024, 11:35 AM,
Finally I have Polish Exiles, now to mess names
In the game, the Poles have Groupe Franc and Dragoon units. I'm sure the Poles did not use those names.

I was thinking instead of Groupe Franc, Specjalne might be a better choice. Alternately maybe GROM, with is an acronym for Grupa Reagowania Operacyino-Manewrowego. I know both terms are from the modern era.

Any other thoughts?
Gunny0351, brad_newcomer, wleonard1 like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-09-2024, 07:36 AM,
RE: Finally I have Polish Exiles, now to mess names
(05-08-2024, 11:35 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: In the game, the Poles have Groupe Franc and Dragoon units. I'm sure the Poles did not use those names.

I was thinking instead of Groupe Franc, Specjalne might be a better choice. Alternately maybe GROM, with is an acronym for Grupa Reagowania Operacyino-Manewrowego. I know both terms are from the modern era.

Any other thoughts?

In France 40, Polish troops were organized following exact French standards. However, DRG units were called MTC or any equivalent name. Groupes Francs were more specific French names and since numbers of Polish soldiers actually spoke French language, it is most probable they just kept the French names.
05-09-2024, 10:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-09-2024, 10:36 AM by plloyd1010.)
I have found an anomaly.
The Polish R35 is the same as R40. I abhor a distinction without a difference. More practically, would the Polish Army in Exile have the version of the R35, or would they be reequipped with the standard French version?

(05-09-2024, 07:36 AM)leonard Wrote: Groupes Francs were more specific French names and since numbers of Polish soldiers actually spoke French language, it is most probable they just kept the French names.

Would that make them Grupa Polska or Groupe Polonais?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-09-2024, 11:31 AM,
Scenario data has been updated
I have created the new Polish unit entries and updated the scenario OOBs.

How about some DIY counters? I could add the new Polish counters to my Piechoty sheet. The is room for 56 more counters, and I only need 16 more spaces. Maybe some OBA counters?
05-09-2024, 06:31 PM,
R35 / R40. The Polish counters were designed well before France 40. So, the original Polish R35s were made to represent the French tanks thatwere used in Poland. However, the AT values of these tanks were wrong ; 2-3 is too high, they should be 1-3.
Now, the Polish Army in exile in France was finally equipped with new French R40s _and_ upgunned R35s. So, I took that opportunity to use the Polish R35 counters that just fit right in Polish Exiles.
A bit complicated but correct in the end…
05-09-2024, 06:44 PM,
Groupe franc. « Franc » doesn’t mean « French ». It means something like « Free » or « Autonomous »
05-09-2024, 06:48 PM,
RE: Scenario data has been updated
(05-09-2024, 11:31 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I have created the new Polish unit entries and updated the scenario OOBs.

How about some DIY counters? I could add the new Polish counters to my Piechoty sheet. The is room for 56 more counters, and I only need 16 more spaces. Maybe some OBA counters?

DIY counters will certainly be useful. Especially for 25mm AT guns, DRG (replaced by MTC) and so on.
05-11-2024, 03:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-12-2024, 03:44 AM by plloyd1010.)
The Polish Exiles are here
I've made a Polish Supplemental Polish supplemental countersheet, with a total of 63 2-sided counters. The Polish counters in Polish Exiles no longer need French substitutes. There are also OBA markers to support all the scenarios from Lithuania's Iron Wolves to Carpathian Brigade, and the piechoty counters from Bron Pancerna that I created a while back. I also made R35 replacement counters, the short gun version. Be careful using those as they will make Polish prospects in some battles a little dimmer.

Anyway, the inventory looks like this:

21x PCHT
1x GFr
1x GSzr
2x DRG
2x MTC
3x 25mm AT
4x 25mm AA
1x  47mm APX
3x R35/s37
4x R40
1x UE/CK

OBA:
3x 8
5x 13
4x 14
1x 15
2x 16
3x 20
2x 24

PCHT = Piechoty
GSzr = Grupa Szturmowa

The GSzr is identical to the GFr counter. It's just that Grupa Szturmowa sounds more Polish to me. The MTC counters are also identical to the DRG counters. The GSzr and MTC counters will appear in Vassal extension as alternates, selecaible via the counter menu, as are most alternates. Piechoty simply means infantry. Bron Pancerna had Polish infantry upgraded with semi-automatic rifles, that's where the PCHT comes from.
treadasaurusrex, wleonard1, Juiceman And 1 others like this post