Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Platoon level or squad level?
01-12-2024, 01:17 PM,
RE: Platoon level or squad level?
(01-10-2024, 05:30 AM)Juiceman Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 12:27 PM)joe_oppenheimer Wrote: The Last Hundred Yards has become my go to game for squad level WWII combat.

Can you tell me what you liked about LHY? What made it different from other tactical games that are currently on the market?  Have you ever played Old School Tactical?  Any thoughts on it, OST?

Interested in squad and individual vehicle based games but there are a number of them out there that all sound similar.

I haven't played Old School Tactical so can't comment on that.

Last Hundred Yards centers around a platoon activation system. One player has the initiative and they active some or all of the units in a platoon. The non-initiative player is then able to react to those actions but can't do things like firing at enemy units that haven't activated. Platoon leaders can also activate units they're stacked with and in open terrain or on roads can activate adjacent units. The reactions can go back and forth so during your activation you might send one unit forward, if the enemy fires at it you might react with another unit. I find it works nicely.

Mortar support comes from offboard with onboard forward observers. It can be pretty useful to suppress the enemy as well as ideally causing casualties. Suppression is pretty important in the system. Sometimes you'll make a low strength fire attack against a unit just to cause it to have a negative suppression modifier on its own attack. The combat system is somewhat unique. Instead of resolving fire immediately you mark the enemy unit with a numbered fire value (color coded for small arms, mortar, or anti-tank) and then resolve all the fire attacks after all actions and reactions are completed. It tends to speed up the flow of the game and creates some uncertainty about how effective your fire will be. 

For me it plays quickly and easily and gives a great experience.
treadasaurusrex, Tubac52, Tambu And 1 others like this post
01-15-2024, 07:29 AM,
RE: Platoon level or squad level?
(01-12-2024, 01:17 PM)joe_oppenheimer Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 05:30 AM)Juiceman Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 12:27 PM)joe_oppenheimer Wrote: The Last Hundred Yards has become my go to game for squad level WWII combat.

Can you tell me what you liked about LHY? What made it different from other tactical games that are currently on the market?  Have you ever played Old School Tactical?  Any thoughts on it, OST?

Interested in squad and individual vehicle based games but there are a number of them out there that all sound similar.

I haven't played Old School Tactical so can't comment on that.

Last Hundred Yards centers around a platoon activation system. One player has the initiative and they active some or all of the units in a platoon. The non-initiative player is then able to react to those actions but can't do things like firing at enemy units that haven't activated. Platoon leaders can also activate units they're stacked with and in open terrain or on roads can activate adjacent units. The reactions can go back and forth so during your activation you might send one unit forward, if the enemy fires at it you might react with another unit. I find it works nicely.

Mortar support comes from offboard with onboard forward observers. It can be pretty useful to suppress the enemy as well as ideally causing casualties. Suppression is pretty important in the system. Sometimes you'll make a low strength fire attack against a unit just to cause it to have a negative suppression modifier on its own attack. The combat system is somewhat unique. Instead of resolving fire immediately you mark the enemy unit with a numbered fire value (color coded for small arms, mortar, or anti-tank) and then resolve all the fire attacks after all actions and reactions are completed. It tends to speed up the flow of the game and creates some uncertainty about how effective your fire will be. 

For me it plays quickly and easily and gives a great experience.

Thank you for the follow up and recap of the game.  Reading the rules that are available on line and watching a couple of nice videos, I would agree with you on the unique game play, the Action-Reaction flow is interesting and peaked my interest in the game, as well as the great looking maps.  Not 100% sold on it but it does look promising. 
Appreciate you taking the time for a quick review.
OldPueblo, treadasaurusrex, Tony M And 11 others like this post
"Don't let the dirt and rust hang you up, we like to give the impression that we are out of action badly in need of rest and reorganization"