Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
[Rules] Fall of France - French armored transports question
08-03-2023, 08:28 AM,
Fall of France - French armored transports question
I have a question regarding French units in Fall of France, specifically regarding their 'armored transports' per the game special rules section 10, and use mechanized movement

It lists French Lorraine and CK units as unarmed transport units with an armor value of 0. I noticed the Lorraine units actually have a printed armor value of 0, while the CK units don't. There is also another transport unit, the UE which has a printed armor value of 0 (the unit icon in the upper left is Transport per rule 2.1, so that is why I call it a transport unit), but the game specific special rules are silent on this unit and whether it too is an armored transport. 

Any thoughts here as to whether the CK units are supposed to be considered armored for combat purposes (e.g. protection from direct fire absent an X result)? Should the UEs be considered Motorized for movement purposes since they aren't mentioned in Special Rule #10?
Sonora, Tambu, chaco And 1 others like this post
08-03-2023, 10:26 AM,
RE: Fall of France - French armored transports question
The CK is unarmored. Basically it is a tracked truck.

Since UE's are armored, and not armored cars, they are considered to be mechanized. They are considered prime movers in the game. Historically, they were frontline supply tractors.
Tubac52, Sonora, chaco And 4 others like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-04-2023, 10:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2023, 10:23 AM by Juiceman.)
(08-03-2023, 08:28 AM)bbrophy75 Wrote: I have a question regarding French units in Fall of France, specifically regarding their 'armored transports' per the game special rules section 10, and use mechanized movement

It lists French Lorraine and CK units as unarmed transport units with an armor value of 0. I noticed the Lorraine units actually have a printed armor value of 0, while the CK units don't. There is also another transport unit, the UE which has a printed armor value of 0 (the unit icon in the upper left is Transport per rule 2.1, so that is why I call it a transport unit), but the game specific special rules are silent on this unit and whether it too is an armored transport. 

Any thoughts here as to whether the CK units are supposed to be considered armored for combat purposes (e.g. protection from direct fire absent an X result)? Should the UEs be considered Motorized for movement purposes since they aren't mentioned in Special Rule #10?

Here are a couple of pictures:  

OldPueblo, Sonora, chaco And 11 others like this post
"Don't let the dirt and rust hang you up, we like to give the impression that we are out of action badly in need of rest and reorganization"
08-04-2023, 01:17 PM,
Nice images, Chuck! It does help clarify the question.
sagunto, ACav, PANISTA And 9 others like this post
08-05-2023, 04:04 AM,
(08-04-2023, 01:17 PM)treadasaurusrex Wrote: Nice images, Chuck! It does help clarify the question.

The top-down counters of PG, while good for the most part, do not do the unique French vehicles any justice.  Below are a couple of more.

chaco, CavDo, Tubac52 And 10 others like this post
"Don't let the dirt and rust hang you up, we like to give the impression that we are out of action badly in need of rest and reorganization"
08-05-2023, 05:34 AM,
So true, and the ridiculous shadow effects on the individual counters, further obscure the vehicle details.
Miguelibal, Reconquista, OldPueblo And 8 others like this post
08-05-2023, 08:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2023, 08:18 AM by bbrophy75.)
(08-04-2023, 10:18 AM)Juiceman Wrote:  

Those pics are great, thanks! 

I googled some of these French vehicles too, just to get a sense of what they actually were (cramped and tiny came to mind immediately)
Tankodactyl, Reconquista, Miguelibal And 6 others like this post
08-06-2023, 12:24 PM,
(08-05-2023, 08:09 AM)bbrophy75 Wrote:
(08-04-2023, 10:18 AM)Juiceman Wrote:  

Those pics are great, thanks! 

I googled some of these French vehicles too, just to get a sense of what they actually were (cramped and tiny came to mind immediately)

Try Tanks Encyclopedia:  tanks-encyclopedia.com
treadasaurusrex, Tubac52, CavDo And 11 others like this post