Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New game
07-04-2023, 11:08 PM,
RE: New game
Latest posting on "the project": Getting a bunch of things done.... all at the same time. Setting up scenarios, formulating "OOB"s, writing scenarios, finishing maps. (Perhaps I am trying to do too much?) Got most of the maps done, trying to figure out how to make the rivers/canals of the map depicting the south of Nijmegen be useful as a "generic "map. (Might be a lost cause.) (Which would make the count 4 generic and 4 specific maps.)

If I can winnow down the German "counter count"....the counter sheets will be two and a half. I'm not looking forward toward "scratching out" a set of Polish Paratroopers. It will NOT be pretty! Oh well.....

I'm also toying with a few ideas for the terrain combos and how to fold the operational aspects the scenarios in accordance with the "rules. (For instance; How does one make the "withdrawal of the British AB Div" conform with the rules of the game? (I have a few ideas, but haven't play tested them as yet.)

All in all, it's coming along as well as could be expected and it probably WILL take a year (as I surmised early on) to complete. (It does take away from my playing the "game", also as I suspected. [I HATE being right all the time.]  Rolleyes  )

And so it goes....

GG
cjsiam and goosebrown like this post
07-06-2023, 03:26 AM,
"I'm not looking forward toward "scratching out" a set of Polish Paratroopers. It will NOT be pretty! Oh well....."

I think that would be pretty easy really. You use the regular British paratroops and then different logo at the top more or less. If you don't have the mad skills to do that I would be happy to build them to your specifications.

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
07-06-2023, 05:21 AM,
If you are a Gold Club member just download Iron Curtain Red & White, there are 12 platoons of Polish Paratroopers in the counter set, the country emblem might not be accurate, beats starting from scratch.
cjsiam and treadasaurusrex like this post

Attached Files Image(s)

"Don't let the dirt and rust hang you up, we like to give the impression that we are out of action badly in need of rest and reorganization"
07-06-2023, 06:06 AM,
No Kidding! Those are just what I am looking for. I am a "Gold Club" member. Next question: How do I download these?

GG
07-06-2023, 07:50 AM,
If you get the GC newsletter than double click on the link for The Golden Gateway, scroll down to Premium Content, find Red & White, download the PDF.
"Don't let the dirt and rust hang you up, we like to give the impression that we are out of action badly in need of rest and reorganization"
07-06-2023, 09:17 AM,
I'll try it out. Thanks.

GG
07-22-2023, 04:01 AM,
Things are going along as well as could be expected. I had to redo two maps (including the very first one, which I thought was "good"!) and the "Map Project" is but two/three from  being a "print", done deal. (I was working on the sixth map when I discovered that I had inadvertently used the wrong color marker..... Busted!)

The counters are pretty well fixed except for the Germans... which will be relatively easy considering they were at "less than optimum strength" going in.....

I did take a week off, to regroup, and to rethink, and, frankly, to do other things (One DOES get a little tired of looking at the same thing all the time.)

I still have this problem with the "bridges map" (South of Nijmegen).... can I make it a "reversable" map or not?)

Then there is the scenarios typing (with my hands!!!!!) problem (and where to store IT!).  .....and on and on and ON!

GG
07-22-2023, 04:19 AM,
Just for grins I'll also do this, hence: Day: 69  Hours (on project): 41

GG
cjsiam likes this post
07-22-2023, 11:35 AM,
(07-22-2023, 04:19 AM)Grognard Gunny Wrote: Just for grins I'll also do this, hence: Day: 69  Hours (on project): 41

GG

what you don't measure, you can't optimise......

What about if your reversible bridges was an "overlay" which fit on your maps in two different ways?

There is nothing that says an "overlay" can't be put onto a map to change it....that way base maps can be used
in even more ways, varying terrain even more...more/less town or wood  more hill/or less with a clear terrain overlay...

just an idea
07-22-2023, 12:13 PM,
That would be a good idea, but is not the AP/PG "way". One of the prerequisites for this whole thing is that I conform to the AP/PG "way". So my thoughts for the map (in question) is that it be completely reversable in order for it to be usable in more than one or two scenarios.

I definitely WILL keep the overlay idea in my future reference file, however.

GG