Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New game
06-01-2023, 09:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2023, 09:54 AM by Grognard Gunny.)
RE: New game
Well, only a couple of "glitches" I'm "working on" at the moment. One of the most distressing is the "hex sheet conundrum". In this little problem, I can go a couple of ways toward coming up with a "solution" for the problem.

1) I can go online and look for a 11x17 (OR a 11x8.5 twice) sheet of hexes. I have found one or two "solutions" online AND they are adjustable AND should work out best for the problem..... but I absolutely cannot adjust the system to print out properly on my printer. (It's probably something I'm doing or not doing but... the result is the same.)

2) I can work up manually a hand drawn sheet which I would then copy over (trace) onto other paper for my maps. This IS a painstaking task and I am on my third try and have yet to perform a good base layout. (Much to my chagrin, I was a pretty decent engineering drawer in my time.)

The second (fortunately only a small "problem") is to discover exactly how many pieces are on a sheet of "units" as sent from the factory. (Seems to me that there are 7 on one "side" of a sheet and 8 on the other.) But how many from to top bottom of the sheet I don't have a clue. (If someone could be so kind as to give me some exact figures on that.....) (I should have saved the "sprues"...)

Lastly, there is the play test set of pieces.... of which I still require a "set" of Polish Paras and some "better" pieces of British Paras. Not that I couldn't do this myself, BUT, being a stickler for a good looking set up.... I tend to go for the best that I can do.

That's about it for now.... isn't it enough?

GG
06-01-2023, 10:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2023, 02:31 AM by goosebrown.)
great progress. 

Love to see what you end up with.

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
06-01-2023, 10:21 AM,
(06-01-2023, 09:53 AM)Grognard Gunny Wrote: 1) I can go online and look for a 11x17 (OR a 11x8.5 twice) sheet of hexes. I have found one or two "solutions" online AND they are adjustable AND should work out best for the problem..... but I absolutely cannot adjust the system to print out properly on my printer. (It's probably something I'm doing or not doing but... the result is the same.)

If you want to nut this out together, we could but I expect it is that your printer won't do full bleed (to the edge) printing so is scaling or cutting off. 

The second (fortunately only a small "problem") is to discover exactly how many pieces are on a sheet of "units" as sent from the factory.

see above

Lastly, there is the play test set of pieces.... of which I still require a "set" of Polish Paras and some "better" pieces of British Paras.

Can't help you there. 

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
06-01-2023, 11:44 PM,
Thanks Goose, got it.

GG
goosebrown likes this post
06-01-2023, 11:50 PM,
How to put British Armor, British Paras, American Paras, Polish Paras AND the ubiquitous Germans on 2 (3?) sheets of counters? Hmmmmmm?

Solve THAT one after I get this stubborn HEX PROBEM solved!

GG
goosebrown likes this post
06-02-2023, 12:46 AM,
(06-01-2023, 11:50 PM)Grognard Gunny Wrote: How to put British Armor, British Paras, American Paras, Polish Paras AND the ubiquitous Germans on 2 (3?) sheets of counters? Hmmmmmm?

Solve THAT one after I get this stubborn HEX PROBEM solved!

GG

In typical APL style you could split it into 3 games and then only ever make the first.
Schoenwulf, treadasaurusrex, Grognard Gunny And 1 others like this post
06-02-2023, 02:10 AM,
Re: the counter sheets. 

Fall of France (seen above) has the old layout, with 8 counters on one side and 7 on the other, 11 rows for 165 pieces (88 + 77).  The new sheets have 8 on each side by 11 rows, for 176 counters.  You can also include half-sheets of 88 counters (they print half as many as the full sheet for each game and cut them apart).
06-02-2023, 02:31 AM,
(06-01-2023, 09:53 AM)Grognard Gunny Wrote: Well, only a couple of "glitches" I'm "working on" at the moment. One of the most distressing is the "hex sheet conundrum". In this little problem, I can go a couple of ways toward coming up with a "solution" for the problem.

1) I can go online and look for a 11x17 (OR a 11x8.5 twice) sheet of hexes. I have found one or two "solutions" online AND they are adjustable AND should work out best for the problem..... but I absolutely cannot adjust the system to print out properly on my printer. (It's probably something I'm doing or not doing but... the result is the same.)

2) I can work up manually a hand drawn sheet which I would then copy over (trace) onto other paper for my maps. This IS a painstaking task and I am on my third try and have yet to perform a good base layout. (Much to my chagrin, I was a pretty decent engineering drawer in my time.)

The second (fortunately only a small "problem") is to discover exactly how many pieces are on a sheet of "units" as sent from the factory. (Seems to me that there are 7 on one "side" of a sheet and 8 on the other.) But how many from to top bottom of the sheet I don't have a clue. (If someone could be so kind as to give me some exact figures on that.....) (I should have saved the "sprues"...)

Lastly, there is the play test set of pieces.... of which I still require a "set" of Polish Paras and some "better" pieces of British Paras. Not that I couldn't do this myself, BUT, being a stickler for a good looking set up.... I tend to go for the best that I can do.

That's about it for now.... isn't it enough?

GG

You might have to go to a commercial graphics or a print shop that can print to the edge of the paper, no home printer allows you to do that.   Suggest you use 11x17 and make sure the hexes follow the same pattern as the current maps (if you plan to use them).  Seems like you got the size of the hexes licked, but double check to be sure they align all the way from top to bottom, if you are off ever so slightly, they will not line up with any current maps.  If you do go to a graphics or print shop the quality will be better than anything from a standard ink jet printer.    Good luck.
"Don't let the dirt and rust hang you up, we like to give the impression that we are out of action badly in need of rest and reorganization"
06-02-2023, 12:05 PM,
My wife, who seems to see the "big picture" before I do, has discovered some tracing paper on the internet which should do the trick. (I merely trace over the hexes from another map and draw my own terrain from there. (Ta da!) (It ain't elegant but it will do!) One down.

GG
06-02-2023, 01:27 PM,
(06-02-2023, 12:05 PM)Grognard Gunny Wrote: My wife, who seems to see the "big picture" before I do, has discovered some tracing paper on the internet which should do the trick. (I merely trace over the hexes from another map and draw my own terrain from there. (Ta da!) (It ain't elegant but it will do!) One down.

GG

Why not just print a hex sheet? Lots of online utilities for that. 13x17 hexes, half hexes in columns 1 and 13.

495 counters. Start with images out of the Vassal extensions.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking