Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New game
05-14-2023, 11:44 PM,
RE: New game
Monty, and then Ike. The whole thing has gotten a lot of flack.... by supposed "experts", but (it must be remembered), all of this came well after the fact and with the inevitable 20/20 hindsight that all such "experts" seem to possess extraordinary amounts of. It was an effort to shorten the war (and save lives) and seemed a "good idea" at the time. (...and sometimes that's about all you can ask for.) There is a lot of "what ifs" involved in the campaign, but, all in all, it wasn't a bad idea. (At least it showed SOME initiative.)

GG
05-14-2023, 11:50 PM,
.... at any rate, I will continue the development of this "game". and post my thinking on the matter. If for no other reason than to throw up a few thoughts on development. (I consider development almost as much fun as playing!)

GG
05-15-2023, 04:49 AM,
What about the anticlimatic « It never snows in September » ?
05-15-2023, 04:59 AM,
.... anything to get this war over with, yes? (Preferably BEFORE it snows!)

GG
05-15-2023, 09:57 AM,
How about Recon, Smeecon, Makes No Difference.

That aside. Apart from maps, most other counters exist in the PG-verse. The biggest addition would be polder, the reclaimed ground from the sea and wetlands, it is treacherous for heavy vehicles. Then there are dikes, most the former ones around the polder areas. Not very many hills.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-15-2023, 10:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2023, 07:33 AM by Grognard Gunny.)
On the maps, the polder "map" would be essential and well as one with a town on one side of a large river and not much on the other side. (Reversable for use as either Arnhem or Nijmegan.) A couple of Groosbeek Heights maps would be useful. Another "river" map would be useful for a couple of scenarios I have in mind. I haven't put much effort into the maps as yet as I am trying to come up with the scenarios first, then set the maps, dropping and adding scenarios as it goes. 

I have amassed 35 scenarios that seem most likely to show the type of actions of different types, I'm still working on them.

(It really is a good campaign, I don't recall that is has been done at the PG level of tactical envolvement before. DESPITE all the little title "digs" from the "gallery".  Tongue )

GG
05-16-2023, 11:14 PM,
On the other hand, if we incorporate maps from the GP plethora of them.... bringing the whole requirement down to its basic elements would just include the aforementioned polder maps. The rest could be appropriated from other games. (That approach does seem more easily accomplished, from a designe'rs viewpoint, but DOES leave prospective players needing MORE GAMES, something I have a defiinate negative outlook on having been "stung" once or twice myself.)

GG
05-17-2023, 06:18 PM,
Course...
If we could get 3 or 4 Base map terrain types... being maps with basic clear, "polder" type terrain--

Then place some hills...
Some forest, towns...roads...Rivers.....onto Vassal maps.....counters that are either single, or 3 or 6 hex woods/towns....
Roads and rivers which could rotate...

Some hills which can be place (rotated a few directions) then woods on top...maybe a road/town....

Could make the necessary maps.....

Kinda thing....

hmmmm....
05-17-2023, 09:49 PM,
That's not bad. If we take a grouping of four maps, the ones for the town(s) (North side and South side) of the river and two others for primariy "polder" terrain, with the river running near or along the edge of the map(s)..... that would be the primary area of battle for at least 16-18 scenarios of the 30+ I have in mind. (I really MUST dig out my books on the battle and go over them. I'm doing most of my preliminary "thinking" from memory, and it's been a few years since....)

GG
05-17-2023, 11:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2023, 10:20 PM by Grognard Gunny.)
As was so carefully pointed out, Intelligence failure was preeminent (and a given) in the event. On the other hand, when did Intel pan out? During the Bulge?  At Normandy (for the Germans)? In Italy? At Pearl? One can point out one or two significant Intelligence "coups" during WWII and an equal (if not more) number of "Oooops!" 

While we could go on a mission of "Yes, it is....", "No, it isn't....." ad infinitum.... suffice it to say that Intel is an educated guess, at best. I do have some experience in the field, having spent almost my entire career in it. Believe me, I KNOW. (Things haven't changed THAT much since WWII. Despite the overwhelming preponderance of "high tech" stuff.) 

GG