Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The first Romanians
02-28-2023, 06:01 AM,
The first Romanians
Back in the 2nd edition days, APL put out an expansion with Romanians. Dr. Mike mentioned it when I was reconstituting Lions of Finland. I got the impression that it was very short lived. Does anyone (the really long PG players) recall this? I would like to get details if possible.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-28-2023, 06:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-28-2023, 06:35 AM by triangular_cube.)
RE: The first Romanians
Doesn't sound familiar. No mentions of it anywhere on the website at the time via webarchive or on CSW in either the series or company sections. 

He could have been remembering designing scenarios that never got released and were put into EFD (well i guess thats technically 2nd edition, but not what you seem to be describing) later, but its news to me if this product ever existed.
02-28-2023, 06:44 AM,
Actually scratch that.. sort of.... my search on CSW was wrong. 

Looks like post 2192 on the AVP page does discuss it in retrospect. But it was never completed, and was mostly rolled into EFD
02-28-2023, 06:45 AM,
I'm pretty sure he said it published, maybe as a download (don't remember), like Red Fury & Spanish Blues.
Probably before Beyond Normandy, Battle of the Bulge and Afrika Korps. Likely concurrent Heroes of the Soviet Union and maybe Lions of Finland.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-28-2023, 06:54 AM,
(02-28-2023, 06:45 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I'm pretty sure he said it published, maybe as a download (don't remember), like Red Fury & Spanish Blues.
Probably before Beyond Normandy, Battle of the Bulge and Afrika Korps. Likely concurrent Heroes of the Soviet Union and maybe Lions of Finland.

A download would be pretty out of place in early AVP history, and for that era of the internet, but still I couldn't find any references on webarchive. Not to say it couldnt be out there somewhere, but I doubt it. 

If you didnt look up the CSW post in my second quick reply to the thread, I think thats as much info as we are going to find. And it sounds like it was never to be aside from playtesting.
03-01-2023, 12:51 AM,
The first Romanians, what Dr. Mike said
Dr. Mike said that it was an early scenario download with the same name as the current expansion, Armata Romana. There were no counters with the download. They would come later as an extra in Red Steel. The scenarios focused on the battle for Odessa and early border battles. For those who may have wondered why the BDR counter appeared at APL.
[Image: RomBDR.jpg]
This little game seems to be the reason.
03-01-2023, 01:16 AM,
Are they different from Armata Romana scenarios? Have you uncovered a lost game here Peter?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
03-01-2023, 01:24 AM,
(03-01-2023, 01:16 AM)Shad Wrote: Are they different from Armata Romana scenarios? Have you uncovered a lost game here Peter?

Lost game? Likely. Different scenarios? Probably much like those in Eastern Front Deluxe and the current Armata Romana.

Since the Romanian MTN platoons have the same combat and movement factors, I wonder how many of those might be border clash scenarios from that first set.
03-01-2023, 01:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2023, 01:33 AM by triangular_cube.)
RE: The first Romanians, what Dr. Mike said
(03-01-2023, 12:51 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Dr. Mike said that it was an early scenario download with the same name as the current expansion, Armata Romana. There were no counters with the download. They would come later as an extra in Red Steel. The scenarios focused on the battle for Odessa and early border battles. For those who may have wondered why the BDR counter appeared at APL.
[Image: RomBDR.jpg]
This little game seems to be the reason.

That would make even less sense. Red Steel had half inch counters, and there were none included for PzG no? Not in my box nor on any of images of the contents/sheets on BGG. 

Really seems to be confused memory over a potential module that never came out. There hasn't been any documented evidence anywhere to support it ever being available.

Red Steel also predated PZG as a published product by half a decade?
03-01-2023, 01:36 AM,
RE: The first Romanians, what Dr. Mike said
(03-01-2023, 01:29 AM)triangular_cube Wrote: That would make even less sense. Red Steel had half inch counters, and there were none included for PzG no? Not in my box nor on any of images of the contents/sheets on BGG. 

Really seems to be confused memory over a potential module that never came out. There hasn't been any documented evidence anywhere to support it ever being available.

Red Steel also predated PZG as a published product by half a decade?
Quote:It was also called Armata Romana, and we never issued it. It had pieces for the Romanian Frontier Guard and scenarios for Odessa. We did a download for Red Steel with them, but never made pieces for Panzer Grenadier. I went and looked at it again when I thought about doing more downloads this past Christmas, and there's not much there without more work.