Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Africa Orientale Italiana - Scenario 1 (First Incursion)
01-05-2023, 05:45 PM,
Africa Orientale Italiana - Scenario 1 (First Incursion)
Gents,

It’s been a while since I have been able to find the time to play. I have been wanting to play AOI for a while now, and tried out the first scenario since it was small. I figured I could do it pretty easily and quickly. Initially, I wasn’t too impressed by the force mixture. I figured that there was no chance that this would be a balanced scenario - Italians attacking with a battalion minus and no artillery, against a reinforced company in a strong defensive position over open ground.
It was surprisingly good - I highly recommend it. There is a lot more nuance to the scenario than I expected. I wrote a very detailed AAR about it. If you try the scenario out I would love to read your thoughts.

Mike
OldPueblo, chaco, Tubac52 And 5 others like this post
01-06-2023, 04:35 AM,
RE: Africa Orientale Italiana - Scenario 1 (First Incursion)
Dear Mike,

Hmm, nice note and observations. I am still waiting for the new-and-improved version on AOI to arrive at my home. I ordered it in 2020!

Perhaps it's time to play some scenarios with other carbon-based life forms on Vassal in shared play, rather than solo? That would help others to better assess the playability of the universe of PG scenarios and share the experience & your learnings with others?

Happy trails and New Year,

Treadasaurusrex
Miguelibal, Tambu, Tubac52 And 8 others like this post
01-06-2023, 09:52 AM,
Don’t disagree with you. I haven’t broken the code on how to find time to play with anyone else yet. My social coordinator (the wife) has many of my weekends spoken for. I also have a 7 and an 8.5 year old. For me after bedtime would work best.

Mike
Reconquista, sagunto, goosebrown And 8 others like this post
01-06-2023, 12:20 PM,
"For me after bedtime would work best."

Me too but my opponents hate it.
Miguelibal, CavDo, Sonora And 4 others like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
01-09-2023, 07:00 AM,
Yeah,

I think I need to find one night of the week, where I could do a combined vassal and FT or Skype session with someone after about 1900 or 2000 (7 or 8pm) PST - after the kids are in bed.   Mid-week would be better because then my weekends are free for the family.

Mike
goosebrown, Tubac52, OldPueblo And 8 others like this post
01-09-2023, 08:20 AM,
These are perfectly acceptable conditions for those of us who are retired, or semi-retired, Mike.

There is no doubt that it's hard to carve out even a weekly 2-hour session of playing time, given the responsibilities you have as a good parent and family provider.

When -- and if -- you are ready to take the plunge, there are a number of us playing online on a regular basis with gainfully employed people, like yourself.

Happy trails,

Felipe
PANISTA, ACav, Tankodactyl And 10 others like this post