Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the balance sliders stop updating with the new year?
01-04-2023, 03:19 AM,
Did the balance sliders stop updating with the new year?
There is usually a delay be it local cache or actual systemwise that I have noticed when entering in plays, for the balance slider on the scenario pages to update. Idk, maybe an hour? 

Seems the plays I entered last night still aren't getting factored in. Take a look at Tank Battles #10 for example, which has only my play recorded. Still displaying as 50/50 to me instead of 0/100 after 12ish hours.
01-10-2023, 02:00 AM,
RE: Did the balance sliders stop updating with the new year?
I'll check behind the scenes. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!
triangular_cube likes this post
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
01-10-2023, 05:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2023, 05:23 AM by triangular_cube.)
(01-10-2023, 02:00 AM)Shad Wrote: I'll check behind the scenes. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

The Fishman returns!

Just giving you some additional info if it helps your investigation. 

I have played TB #10-17 since the new year, it appears that some of these have updated (11,12,13,14,16 (i think)),  the sliders on others have not (10,15). 17 i cant tell as it was one play that resulted in a draw.  

All of them have had an AAR written. 

A few of them (unfortunately I can't recall which) have had edited AARs as I fixed some typos. These edits were done quickly after the AAR was posted. 

All of those could be red herrings, but also might be related. Thats pretty much all I can determine as an end user.
01-10-2023, 06:13 AM,
Very helpful, thank you. I'll use that scenario to check the results and corresponding tabulation.

On a higher level, you're right, most aggregated stats on the site update hourly, although at different parts of the hour to minimize server load.
01-10-2023, 09:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2023, 09:55 AM by Shad.)
(01-10-2023, 05:21 AM)triangular_cube Wrote: the sliders on others have not (10,15)

Scenario 15 has 2 plays logged - a draw by waynebaumber and a Side 2 win by triangular_cube.

The way balance is calculated, the draw is a 0 and the Side 2 win is a -1 for a total of -1 divided by 2 plays == - 0.5 balance rating == putting the image's needle on 0.5 to the right of center (towards Side 2). That is where it appears to be at present and the database says that datum was last calculated at 2023-01-06 21:33:09 on the next update schedule following your record submission. Everything checks out.

Scenario 10 only has 1 play logged - yours on Jan 2nd, and all of the same details are aligned as with 15 above.

This suggests a browser caching issue on your computer for that rating image set.

I've adjusted the page code so that it pulls a random integer from 1 to 99,999 and slaps it on the end of each image. This is a cheap way to force your browser to grab a new version every page load because it thinks the file is new and refreshes the cache.

If you see the behavior again after this change, post the scenario ID in question and I'll look again. Smile sorry for the confusion!
triangular_cube likes this post
01-10-2023, 10:05 AM,
(01-10-2023, 09:55 AM)Shad Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 05:21 AM)triangular_cube Wrote: the sliders on others have not (10,15)

Scenario 15 has 2 plays logged - a draw by waynebaumber and a Side 2 win by triangular_cube.

The way balance is calculated, the draw is a 0 and the Side 2 win is a -1 for a total of -1 divided by 2 plays == - 0.5 balance rating == putting the image's needle on 0.5 to the right of center (towards Side 2). That is where it appears to be at present and the database says that datum was last calculated at 2023-01-06 21:33:09 on the next update schedule following your record submission. Everything checks out.

Scenario 10 only has 1 play logged - yours on Jan 2nd, and all of the same details are aligned as with 15 above.

This suggests a browser caching issue on your computer for that rating image set.

I've adjusted the page code so that it pulls a random integer from 1 to 99,999 and slaps it on the end of each image. This is a cheap way to force your browser to grab a new version every page load because it thinks the file is new and refreshes the cache.

If you see the behavior again after this change, post the scenario ID in question and I'll look again. Smile sorry for the confusion!

Well im not sure what caused my browser to make those particular ones so sticky that they even were still displaying the "old" image as of today when I posted my update, but the fix seems to have worked as expected. If it ends up being a huge server draw to keep pulling up new images rather than relying on those cache's, having a couple stuck sliders is hardly important enough to burden everything else  Winking
01-10-2023, 10:26 AM,
Don't worry, it's not. Those are tiny PNG files. Winking