Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SotM] Call for "nose art" contributions!
09-02-2012, 11:11 PM,
Lightbulb  [SotM] Call for "nose art" contributions!
I want to create "nose art" for participating in the scenario of the month.

Each time you participate you'll be awarded a "stamp" here inside the forums. It'll show either in your post header or signature area.

As the entire point of these forums is building community and communication, I want to extend to everyone the opportunity to propose a design.

There are only two requirements:
  1. your canvas is a square measuring 20 pixels on a side
  2. you may only use one color
For reference, the smilies available to you in these forums are 21x21 pixels.

I won't be able to act on this while traveling, so consider the deadline to be end-September.

If there are multiple submissions I will coordinate a public vote to select the final design.

Hope we get a few!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-03-2012, 01:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012, 01:55 AM by Poor Yorek.)
RE: [SotM] Call for "nose art" contributions!
Shad et al.

My only experience of tinkering with digital art was modifying my Site Avatar so that the eagle's wings reflect the SS-pattern not the National Eagle style. But that did give me the following idea: one can extract out the center of the counter image containing the rank/morale rating "circle" and get to about 20x20 pixels (I'm sure more experienced folks could do better). So this led me to consider the following possibilities to modify replace the artwork thusly:

1. rank abbr => "SotM"; and morale value => "play #" in order of sequence. This would look like the center of a leader counter with SotM as the rank and # of play in the circle. SotM 1 and SotM 2 and so-forth.

2. rank abbr => Game abbreviation; and morale value => "Scenario number". Thus, the first SotM badge would have ER 16.

I'm not sure this would satisfy the single color requirement, however.

Option 1 doesn't provide much info on the scenario itself, but it does at a glance indicate, in an eventually longer list, the plays in which a given user has participated. Option 2 is more informative vis-a-vis the scenario, but doesn't convey much information or continuity as how the play fits into the SotM sequence.

I'm not very handy with doing this sort of thing pragmatically, but perhaps the idea might appeal or at least stimulate others?
09-03-2012, 04:15 AM,
RE: [SotM] Call for "nose art" contributions!
Another approach might be to lift/shrink a tank silhouette from Panzer Blitz and simply place the SotM listing number (or a date like 7/12 for July'12 if it'll fit) into or above the silhouette. This would solve the single color issue. To liven them up a bit, perhaps the silhouette color (or the circle color with the idea I mentioned above) could reflect the side with the most victories in the Site play. Field grey for the Heer; Black for Waffen SS; Red for Soviets; Blue for CW; Olive for US ...

Just floating ideas ...