Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bombardment units in assault hexes
09-02-2022, 01:52 AM,
RE: Bombardment units in assault hexes
(09-02-2022, 12:19 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I'm more in favor of the in-hex bombardment approach, as there is already precedent for that. Admittedly I did point out the approximate BF to DF exchange, but it isn't the route I would go. When considering things like this, I sometimes run alternating narratives in my head.
RaW version Wrote:   Lt. Jonesy breathed a guarded sign of relief. The last few minutes had been a desperate fury close shoot from what seemed to be all directions at once as his platoon tried keep the enemy away from the guns, barely 20 yards behind him now. The gun crews did their best help, but with only carbines, pistols and ramrods, he wasn't sure how effective they had been. At least he could admire their courage in the moment.
   He asked Sgt Smitty, the gunnery sergeant beside him, if they might place a shells among the enemy, whom he could see regrouping for another attempt. "No sir", was the reply, "Rule 12.52 prevents us from doing so."
   Jonesy sighed, he could see tanks moving in behind the enemy infantry. As he looked on with resignation the sergeant perked up. " Sir! I see tanks!" "So do I", replied Jonesy in a weary voice. "You don't understand sir. We can shoot at those!", came the enthusiastic shout from Sgt. Smitty.
  "WTF you talkin' about Smitty?"
Or
My alternate version Wrote:   Lt. Jonesy breathed a guarded sign of relief. The last few minutes had been a desperate fury close shoot from what seemed to be all directions at once as his platoon tried keep the enemy away from the guns, barely 20 yards behind him now. The gun crews did their best help, but with only carbines, pistols and ramrods, he wasn't sure how effective they had been. At least he could admire their courage in the moment.
   He asked Sgt Smitty, the gunnery sergeant beside him, if they might place a shells among the enemy, whom he could see regrouping for another attempt. "We could sir, but it is a risky proposition." came the reply.
   "Well Smitty, desperate times call for desperate measures. Give it a try!", Jonesy ordered, and prayed for Smitty get a 6 for his follow-up check.

You can add narrative to any game rule to reduce it to absurdity. It doesn't lead us anywhere. Even the most basic rules make no sense when you transplant them from an abstract environment to a real one. Just look at movement. Two soldiers are in a standoff across a field. Neither wants the other to cross. Soldier A shuffles his feet and moves to the left an inch while adjusting his posture. Soldier B now has free reign to run to Soldier A's right and go on through for 15 minutes. When later asked why Soldier A allowed Soldier B to pass unharmed, he simply responded "I already moved for my turn".
treadasaurusrex and Tambu like this post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bombardment units in assault hexes - by triangular_cube - 09-02-2022, 01:52 AM