Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bombardment units in assault hexes
08-31-2022, 12:27 PM,
RE: Should Infantry guns be part of this discussion?
(08-31-2022, 10:03 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(08-31-2022, 09:54 AM)cjsiam Wrote: The point of mentioning them was to consider how BF translated into a DF which would be used IN hex....
looking for equivalent DF units using the same weapon....

So when we think about Bombardment units, and consider If they might fire IN hex---what would their DF be if doing so?
That is what we were talking about---so comparisons of weapons which occur in both BF and DF forms provides insight....(that is my hypothesis...)

Actually that was the secondary point. In at least 2 previous posts, infantry guns were included mortars and howitzers. I think that is wrong (incongruous was the term I used), hence the question.

There is however a comparison to be made.
[Image: 11-2.png?176428][Image: 520-0.png?230570]
These 2 weapons are basically the same. The mountain howitzer is the later model infantry gun with a slightly different carriage.
I get your point although the research side of me (the googlizer in me...) says they are not the same at all in terms of actual function. The IG had a ROF twice that of the mountain gun with a propellent charge half the weight of the mountain gun. The velocity on the IG was also less than half that of the mountain gun. I can see how the mountain gun ought to have some DF value in assault, but the functionality of the IG was absolutely more suited for it. 

I propose above that an Assault value of .5 the bombardment value of an artillery gun might be a good start for a house rule. I could go for that. But not mortars or rockets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.5_cm_Geb...C3%BCtz_36

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.5_cm_lei...C3%BCtz_18
cjsiam likes this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should Infantry guns be part of this discussion? - by goosebrown - 08-31-2022, 12:27 PM