Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bombardment units in assault hexes
08-27-2022, 02:00 PM,
RE: Bombardment units in assault hexes
(08-27-2022, 12:55 AM)treadasaurusrex Wrote: I think that this comes down to a question of scale.

At PG scale, if an emplaced mortar or artillery platoon is in a 200 meter assault hex, it's very vulnerable to incoming fire & melee effects and should not be able to fire at the attackers with bombardment fire. It should be able to fire the platoon's (relatively weak) small arms at the attackers at close range as abstractly allowed in the assault rules.

At least, dug-in artillery/mortars get first fire, before they are typically overwhelmed -- if they are by themselves -- in an assault hex.

But---at the same time it is still allowed to use it's inherent AT fire at Tanks in the Assault hex....

So the rational being -- if you can organize fire at tanks---could you not similarly produce impacts against infantry at very close range?  Destroying building containing 
enemy firing at you can be effective....

I fear it may come down to a "size of weapon/exposure of crew thing".....guns <=75mm, particularly Inf Guns--and 60mm mortars, I would propose do have an ability
to throw some of their firepower into close range offensive fire---larger weapons possibly not....
What about SPGs?
Like a Wespe for example?....blowing up buildings can be very dangerous for infantry trying to assault?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bombardment units in assault hexes - by cjsiam - 08-27-2022, 02:00 PM