Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8.23 Special observation powers
07-29-2022, 12:36 PM,
8.23 Special observation powers
Apart from saying recon units may spot an enemy unit in limiting terrain once per turn, there is nothing said about the mechanics or timing. When would this happen? Could it be before or after an activation? Would it be an activation of the recon unit?

Say I have an AT gun, the bad guys have a tank 5 hexes away in a woods hex, and I have a recon unit able to observe said woods hex. Could I declare the tanks spotted by the recon unit, then activate the AT gun to fire to fire and blast the tank? It doesn't sound cricket to me, but there is not a prohibition either.
goosebrown likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-29-2022, 01:07 PM,
RE: 8.23 Special observation powers
Much as I hate the thought of it . . .

Yes, the tank would be spotted by the snoopy recon element that is 4 hexes day from the AFV in the woods, and yes, the satanic implement of armor destruction (the low-life, AT gun platoon or section) would indeed be able to shoot at it.
Tambu and cjsiam like this post
07-29-2022, 01:24 PM,
(07-29-2022, 01:07 PM)treadasaurusrex Wrote: Much as I hate the thought of it . . .

Yes, the tank would be spotted by the snoopy recon element that is 4 hexes day from the AFV in the woods, and yes, the satanic implement of armor destruction (the low-life, AT gun platoon or section) would indeed be able to shoot at it.

So you are saying making the tank spotted is at the whim of the active player?
Tambu, Col. Sonichu, cjsiam like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-29-2022, 01:37 PM,
Tragically, I think that is the case.
Col. Sonichu, cjsiam, Tambu like this post
08-13-2022, 04:22 AM,
That is correct.

Recon units are very important units in Maple Leaf Brigades. Blow them up early if you can.
cjsiam and treadasaurusrex like this post
08-15-2022, 04:01 AM,
(07-29-2022, 01:24 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(07-29-2022, 01:07 PM)treadasaurusrex Wrote: So you are saying making the tank spotted is at the whim of the active player?

I would say it is immediately spotted when it moves into the spotting range of the enemy recon unit. marking it as such is immaterial as the marker is merely a reminder.  So, the unit is not spotted by the whim of the enemy player, it is spotted when the rules say it is spotted which is when it enters spotting range of any unit.
waynebaumber and treadasaurusrex like this post
08-15-2022, 08:32 AM,
The problem is the "designation as spotted" as if they had blown cover by firing, allowing them to be targeted....

IF a normal Infantry (for example) was within 3 of the tank he would be visible, observable by that infantry---and if it had AT it could fire...
but it could NOT magically inform the AT gun many hexes distant of the presence of and targeting info of that tank 3 hexes from it, but out of LOS of the AT gun.

A RECON unit, on the other hand, can designate ONE unit per turn, within LOS (4hexes for limiting terrain for recon) with a spotted marker,
i.e., as if the unit had fired---thus being visible to the AT gun.
The question is WHEN is that unit designated by the special Recon "one unit per turn spotted" rule....

The owning (of the recon) player may NOT want to use the SPOTTED designation on THAT unit...maybe there are a few tanks moving up....
Thus---it is NOT automatic, but completely at the whim of the recon unit owner---and what we are saying is that whim can be exercised at any time...

a) so certainly during the recon owners activations it can be designated at any time....
b) we are also saying (I think) that during the opposing players activation---if a unit moves within 4hexes in Limiting terrain of a RECCE unit,
and would thus be visible to that unit (edge of forest),
the recce player may instantaneously designate it as spotted---and (for example) an AT unit at 6 hexes from said unit can take an OP FIRE AT shot at the 
so marked SPOTTED unit...

So it is NOT automatic---it is a special designation requiring the recce owning player to MAKE A CHOICE to so utilize his 1/turn spotting capability.
joe_oppenheimer and treadasaurusrex like this post
08-21-2022, 06:47 AM,
I like the rule... though I think I have been using it incorrectly.  I forgot the once per turn when using it for solitaire game.  

Recon units tend to be higher level assets.  They aren't usually tied to the unit that is behind them or on their flank.  As an example, if the unit is a BN Recon asset, they report to the Battalion on the Battalion net.  Other companies or organizations monitoring the network would monitor the report and the leaders of those units would annotate the enemy actively, changing their visualization of the battlefield - this represents crosstalk on the net.  If anyone else missed it, it would be annotated by the Battalion Tactical Operations Center (BN TOC).  The staff at that level would be analyzing the situation and making recommendations to Battalion Commander on if, when, and how to adjust the battalion's posture in order to address the changes in the operating environment.                                

The BN TOC would report changes in the situation to higher HQs and coordinate for additional resources from Brigade (BDE) level.  This same process is replicated at the BDE, Regiment (REG), Division (DIV), Corp, or Army level - based on organization that the reconnaissance assets are assigned (belong) or are attached to.  At these higher levels (operational) reconnaissance is typically feed into the intelligence systems and his pushed down as daily intelligence reports, or as part of the intelligence paragraph of operations orders to subordinate units.  

This rule does a decent job of trying to lay out the commander's ability to prioritize reconnaissance efforts (i.e. the employment of this limited resources) and the more immediate tactical feedback that tactical reconnaissance units can provide.

I just wish all horse cavalry was classified as reconnaissance, because I believe that was also part of their tactical function on the battlefield.
treadasaurusrex likes this post
08-21-2022, 07:18 AM,
Projects take time. Just do a little bit at a time over a few years.