Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Log Files in self-play path
07-25-2022, 11:32 AM,
Log Files in self-play path
I know the rules of PG pretty good and I have several games I play on Vassal so I have a pretty good grasp of using Vassal. I mostly play solo and I usually don't do much with log files. I'm doing the self-play path for the Academy and I'm having trouble figuring out how to do log files. I looked at the PDF that explains how to do it but it looks like they've changed how it works. In the latest version of VASSAL (3.6.7), it automatically asks if you want a log file when you open a module. if you put a comment when the log file closes, it uses that comment as the file name. I think it also links the save game and the .vlog file together so I'm not sure if the multiple log file option will work the same as before.

I don't know if I'm missing something in the process of creating/saving log files but it seems when I open a saved game file session the log file doesn't seem to load properly and I don't see any previous work done (i.e. turn track setup, unit deployments, etc.).

I really like the PG system and I like using Vassal, so I want to graduate from VASSAL Academy to get access to other PG games. So any help with getting the log file issue resolved would be appreciated.
07-25-2022, 01:12 PM,
RE: Log Files in self-play path
You should a save file window when you click yes to starting a logfile. Navigate to your save game directory, or make one. Pick a name that you can keep track of. Something like the game code, scenario number logfile segment. That way, if you needed to do 3 logfiles to complete Elsenborn 25 you could do ElsR025-1 thru ElsR025-3. You can put anything on the comment line you think might be useful. When you are done with your session choose End Logfile from the file menu. That is when your logfile will actually get written.

You probably want to save the game too. Otherwise you need to go all the way through your logfile to pickup the next session.

Incidentally, which game did you pick to practice from?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-26-2022, 07:22 AM,
I am using Invasion 1944 as my game selection. I'm going to do Scenario 1 as my first scenario.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try that and see if it works.
07-26-2022, 11:31 AM,
(07-26-2022, 07:22 AM)cyberjockey Wrote: I am using Invasion 1944 as my game selection. I'm going to do Scenario 1 as my first scenario.

Tough slog for the Americans. Always remember, the American way to fight is through generosity, always give the enemy as much ammunition as you can.
cjsiam and treadasaurusrex like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-29-2022, 11:38 AM,
Yea, I've played a couple of games solo and I discovered that. Especially when using the bocage terrain feature advanced rules in the scenario book.