Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unpublished and download scenarios
07-07-2022, 11:03 PM,
Unpublished and download scenarios
Over the years I've collected some PG scenarios that were created by others, but rarely play them as they are not listed here on PG HQ.  Some of them look to be very interesting.

Would it be possible to have a section in the PG-HQ scenario database for such scenarios so we can count them for plays?  And, maybe even have a file depository for the actual scenarios since they are not proprietary?  This might encourage the play of the scenarios and motivate others to create some.
07-08-2022, 01:15 AM,
RE: Unpublished and download scenarios
With over 2,000 scenarios already available, there doesn't seem to be a need to log these on this page that is committed to "official" AP components for their games. I guess there could be a separate spot on the forum to post them and folks could discuss their AAR's there, but only if the moderators feel that such an effort is worth the time. There's always the risk of someone slipping in a homebrew scenario that violates copyrights of another game company or designer as well, and that could lead to serious problems that could compromise the site. Doesn't seem to be worth the risk or effort.
07-08-2022, 02:08 AM,
If we could respect copyrights, I think it would be great to at least have them available in a forum section although I would prefer to have a listing with AARs. Perhaps not for inclusion in rankings, but would love to play a scenario from someone with specific subject matter expertise on some event.

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
07-08-2022, 02:22 AM,
While I can't speak for him, I suspect the publisher wouldn't be thrilled about unofficial expansions (aside from the somewhat endorsed Vassal Tutorials) being presented alongside the official ones in the library. I seem to recall the scorched earth approach being applied when others tried publishing scenarios that made use of the pieces in GWAS waaay back in the early days. I don't think there would be a problem in a forum section for it if there is enough interest. I feel like there were separate forum posts back there somewhere with some of Jay's? Maybe?
goosebrown likes this post
07-08-2022, 04:30 AM,
(07-08-2022, 02:22 AM)triangular_cube Wrote: While I can't speak for him, I suspect the publisher wouldn't be thrilled about unofficial expansions (aside from the somewhat endorsed Vassal Tutorials) being presented alongside the official ones in the library. I seem to recall the scorched earth approach being applied when others tried publishing scenarios that made use of the pieces in GWAS waaay back in the early days. I don't think there would be a problem in a forum section for it if there is enough interest. I feel like there were separate forum posts back there somewhere with some of Jay's? Maybe?
Publishing them like a vassal file would be a problem because that is the IP of APL. writing a scenario alone and not packaging any APL things like maps or counters would be fine I think. Even AARs would be OK. You could publish and be protected even from people taking scenarios from other games and re-writing them because of the DMCA. If there were a question of provenance of the information PG-HQ could simply delete the file.
treadasaurusrex and Blackcloud6 like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).