Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IA2 Towns & Roads
06-29-2022, 06:14 AM,
IA2 Towns & Roads
I did a word search in the IA rules today and could not find a rule similar to the PG4 rule 5.2 clause: "Roads do not extend into/through town/village hexes regardless of the board artwork, and so a unit entering a town always pays the town/village movement cost."   So, with that lack of that rule in IA2 roads do extend into towns where their artwork does so.  Makes sense to me as the town depicted are not as dense as later and everyone in IA is walking or trotting.
treadasaurusrex likes this post
06-29-2022, 07:00 AM,
RE: IA2 Towns & Roads
Your conclusion would of course mean that the 1 MP cost for entering a town is largely superfluous.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-29-2022, 12:55 PM,
No, not when entering from a hex that has no road.
06-29-2022, 09:10 PM,
Think about for a moment Fred.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-30-2022, 12:08 AM,
2/3 MP to move along the road into a town, 1 MP to enter from a non-road hex... what else is there to think about?
goosebrown and treadasaurusrex like this post
06-30-2022, 12:23 AM,
I've sent an email to Dr. B asking about this.  I hope he responds.
06-30-2022, 02:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2022, 02:31 AM by Blackcloud6.)
...and I got a quick answer: "As written is as intended - follow the yellow brick road, even into the City of Oz."

So, we play as written, eh?
07-01-2022, 12:47 AM,
Interesting. A thread that began with a lawyeristic position has gotten the most likes from the guy who previously bemoaned rules lawyerism. Eye-rolling
That same guy also complained as to how poorly the 2nd Ed rules were structured and written. Interesting.
(06-30-2022, 12:08 AM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: 2/3 MP to move along the road into a town, 1 MP to enter from a non-road hex... what else is there to think about?

Well... you might try counting. The word I used previously was superfluous. The 1MP only has pertinence if the unit/leader has 2 (or) MPs after entering the town hex and (following your position) continues moving through town and contiguous road hexes.

Philosophically, as per your position, you are saying it is easier to move, with a comparatively large body, through a town than along a trail. We should tell the wagoners they got it all, not to mention the company commanders, who obviously pretended, to lose cohesion moving in towns.

(06-30-2022, 02:30 AM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: ...and I got a quick answer: "As written is as intended - follow the yellow brick road, even into the City of Oz."

So, we play as written, eh?

I think you mean play as not written. That is how this thread began, was it not?
Are you sure you are not looking for a specific end outside the otherwise establish convention. Lawyeristic indeed.
07-01-2022, 12:54 AM,
How about you just take it up with your opponent before you play. Agree on what you wanna do and then play?

This is a game. It should be fun. This thread is not fun.

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
07-01-2022, 02:52 AM,
Always, Peter, play by rules as written.  My OP was simply pointing out that the rule is different in IA, and it should be played that way unless there is a statement from the designer that it should be not.  And this was confirmed by the designer that it was intended to be this way.    And reality arguments don't really matter.
goosebrown likes this post