Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VPG
12-31-2012, 09:01 AM,
RE: VPG
I will order more goodies tomorrow as items are 10% off from December 31st to January 2nd.

We will cover the American Civil War with the boys (9 and 16 years old) over the course of two of three months so The Lost Cause and/or In Magnificent Style are very likely candidates. I've played Ottoman Sunset as a team with my 9 year old (he made most of the decision) and it worked OK. I expect TLC will work a little better because he will have some familiarity with the conflict.

Btw, if anyone has recommendations for very easy to play ACW games, please let me know. It can be from any company or even PnP.

Thanks!
12-31-2012, 11:39 AM,
With regard to ACW, GMT's Dead of Winter would be a good one for tomorrow as it will be the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Stones River or Murfreesboro, depending on what side you fall with.
12-31-2012, 01:09 PM,
Thanks for the suggestion but I can't see playing this one against my 9 year old son.

He can handle Trenches of Valor, Memoir '44, Small World, Postcards from the Revolution, and might be ready for Waterloo and Roads to Moscow.
12-31-2012, 02:25 PM,
Daniel,

my post was more of a spin off thought, rather than suggestion. Those that you meantion are great for your sons age. With any of the GBoACW series, you will need a lor more game experience and time. I am surprised that there is not much more play with the 150th anniversery. Even some long time ACW players I knoww are not playing much. when asked why, I get mixed reasons.
01-01-2013, 02:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-01-2013, 02:12 AM by Dean_P.)
(12-31-2012, 01:09 PM)Hugmenot Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion but I can't see playing this one against my 9 year old son.

He can handle Trenches of Valor, Memoir '44, Small World, Postcards from the Revolution, and might be ready for Waterloo and Roads to Moscow.

The obvious answer, if he can handle M44, is Battle Cry. From what I've heard, the 150th anniv edition is better than the original.

IMS is cool, but there's not much "strategy" involved. Instead, you get to feel the endless carnage these poor bstrds had to be feeling as they crossed that long mile of open ground.
01-18-2013, 01:52 PM,
(12-31-2012, 02:52 AM)Dean_P Wrote:
(11-08-2012, 12:49 AM)J6A Wrote: For pure old fun, IMS is a blast...much like all of my blasted troops when I try to win the game. lol.

I have the 1st 2 Market-Garden games, I've only played Arnhem. Very solo friendly. Its a chit draw activation system, no hidden units, small number of counters, easy rules. The no ZoCs make it interesting. I saw a complaint on Eindhoven that "The came bogged down into a big fight for the bridge" and I thought "Um...isn't that the point?"

FYI, I got IMS for my birthday and am reading over the rules now. From a production standpoint, the package is outstanding! I absolutely love the thick counters! Just a light wipe with a kleenex before I take them out of the sprues (or more likely, they fall out) and the soot is gone!

I'll post my impressions as I play.

Just an update on IMS... I have played several games now, the best being getting 117 points, which equates to a stalemate. I've never done worse than historical, and have been close to a real breakthrough only to find the units unable to advance a single space (no lie, had Pettigrew's 3 Ten-strength brigades sitting in Emmitsburg road on the first turn. 3 turns later, they're 4 strength and sitting on Emmitsburg Road).

The game's a blast to play. It's not "historical" except that you get a real feeling of desperation when the shells start pounding you. Great Job, VPG!
02-24-2013, 12:16 AM,
MUST RESIST IMPULSE BUY... MUST RESIST IMPULSE BUY....

Paul Koenig's Market-Garden: Nijmegen is on sale... boxed edition only $25

Of course, delving into that would mean delving into all his others (D-Day beaches and the two other M-G games). I do wonder if there's enough variety to make each game worth having?

And then there's the "saving on shipping" argument, which would have me buying Zulus on the Ramparts too...

MUST RESIST IMPULSE BUY!!!!! MUST RESIST!!!!!!
02-24-2013, 03:31 AM,
I've had my eyes on The Last King of Scotland (the Uganda-Tanzania War, 1978-79) and Duel of the Eagles since before they came out. The Last King of Scotland is particularly interesting to me because I know next to nothing about this war.

I am just waiting to get all the medical bills from my wife's knee surgery taken care of before I decide how much longer I will resist. The surgery went well with just minor complications but it will take at least 8 weeks of physical therapy and maybe up to 9 months before we know how successful it was.
02-24-2013, 03:43 AM,
Hugmenot,

Here's hoping/praying that rehab goes well for her! As we say here, ain't nobody happy if momma ain't happy!

The problem I face is if I open the spigot for VPG, then I'll have to buy something from AP (either KSF or Saipan) and then I'll just HAVE to pre-order Stalin's Triumph and probably Mare Nostrum (from LnL).... and that assumes I don't pre-order Eisenbach Gap Deluxe (but then I'll have a whole new series to complete!)...

so you see, the $25 is more like $250...
02-24-2013, 04:12 AM,
It will be the best $250 you ever spent! Smile