Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VPG
08-31-2012, 01:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012, 04:47 AM by Hugmenot.)
VPG
I just ordered Trenches of Valor + Expansion for my soon to be 9 year old son, and two States of Siege games (Malta Besieged, Ottoman Sunset) for myself.

It would be nice if a certain PG-HQ member would send me a coupon for my next purchase...
08-31-2012, 02:09 PM,
RE: VPG
I'm sure it would. Smile
08-31-2012, 02:10 PM,
I really like ToV and OS is my favorite SOS game. I hope you guys enjoy them.
09-11-2012, 03:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012, 04:54 AM by Hugmenot.)
My (now) 9-year old son and I played ToV scenario 1 twice and I won both times as the defender. We'll try it again after Raven has time to devise a new strategy. I think the complexity is just right for him and the game is a good introduction to tactical wargames.

I played my first Ottoman Sunset game and barely managed to hold on long enough for a marginal defeat. Not bad considering I am not familiar with the deck (nor the history) and thus I am guessing at priorities more than assessing them. It feels like a multi-front probabilistic puzzle game with a good theme. I like it.
09-11-2012, 04:58 AM,
Yeah, it's a challenge. I've been playing Soviet Dawn recently. OS will get back to the table soon.
11-07-2012, 10:36 AM,
Well, of the VPG games that catches my fancy, as a ACW history buff, the one I really am considering picking up is "In Magnificent Style". Would love to hear someone's comments on this game (replayability, immersion in the topic)
11-07-2012, 12:22 PM,
IMS is only vaguely a simulation. Its really a press your luck game like Can't Stop. Its a lot of fun, and very replayable, and if you're looking for a detailed simulation of Pickett's Charge, don't get this one. You'll be disappointed.

I have not played The Lost Cause, I hear its good. Gettysburg: The Wheatfield has received almost exclusively good reviews. I haven't played that one, either, as I'm not that much of an ACW gamer. I do know that G;TW is basically a miniatures rules set as a board game, like GDW's old System 7. In fact, the designer (who also designed IMS and is working on Hammerin' Sickles) said he did these rules to address a lot of shortcomings in System 7.
11-08-2012, 12:34 AM,
That was my impression on IMS... more luck than real strategy, but then was there ever any real strategy to the charge in the first place. That said, I'm not a simulation-fanatic, so something like this, especially the theme, still interests me.

Haven't really looked at the G:TW much... but have thought about the market-garden games. The big issue I have, though, is that they have to be good games to play alone.
11-08-2012, 12:49 AM,
For pure old fun, IMS is a blast...much like all of my blasted troops when I try to win the game. lol.

I have the 1st 2 Market-Garden games, I've only played Arnhem. Very solo friendly. Its a chit draw activation system, no hidden units, small number of counters, easy rules. The no ZoCs make it interesting. I saw a complaint on Eindhoven that "The came bogged down into a big fight for the bridge" and I thought "Um...isn't that the point?"
12-31-2012, 02:52 AM,
(11-08-2012, 12:49 AM)J6A Wrote: For pure old fun, IMS is a blast...much like all of my blasted troops when I try to win the game. lol.

I have the 1st 2 Market-Garden games, I've only played Arnhem. Very solo friendly. Its a chit draw activation system, no hidden units, small number of counters, easy rules. The no ZoCs make it interesting. I saw a complaint on Eindhoven that "The came bogged down into a big fight for the bridge" and I thought "Um...isn't that the point?"

FYI, I got IMS for my birthday and am reading over the rules now. From a production standpoint, the package is outstanding! I absolutely love the thick counters! Just a light wipe with a kleenex before I take them out of the sprues (or more likely, they fall out) and the soot is gone!

I'll post my impressions as I play.