Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And the count as of now is...
06-11-2022, 06:07 AM,
And the count as of now is...
But first there was a when, September 2006 to be more precise. Back then, someone who went by the initials J.O. created a Cyberboard gamebox of the 3rd edition Demo game. Then someone, named Mark, created a Cyberboard gamebox for Airborne. (I liked that he put the German collar insignia on the leaders.) The about 2015 our own Andrew Heath, aka Shad, made a Vassal module for Airborne:IE. Then there was a Sun Tzu module for Airborne. Shad sold APL on the prospect if making a module for Elsenborn Ridge. With that, he was given PDF's of the maps and counters, but it languished. Now I come in. I took over the Elsenborn Ridge project and Dr. Mike hosted it. The came more Vassal modules, the 3rd Ed. Demo game, Kokoda Campaign and Conquest of Ethiopia, and a redo of Airborne.

Dr. Mike didn't like that corrected versions of the modules would come every few months. He wanted something that just stayed, like the boxed games. That wasn't realistic, so APL's interest in supporting online play waned. Also Drew and I wanted more games playable online. The problems were that a new module for every game would be slow to create and APL didn't want unlicensed content running around the internet. So, in the dark, the PG Über project became the glowing mushroom of an invitation only club at PG-HQ in 2018.

PG Über project was to be a modular online implementation of Panzergrenadier in Vassal. Modular, not Vassal module, in the sense that any map sets, nationality of units, leaders and aircraft could be used in whatever combination to make any number of games, published or not. The only real limitation being the access to graphics. Starting from old Vassal modules, the project grew to cover most of the boxed games and their extensions.

The audience and user base was small and PG Über strained against its bonds. A deal with APL in 2020 changed that, but there was a catch. That catch is called the Vassal Academy. No, we don't like it, but at least PG Über could emerge from the shadows. In the light, our little mushroom has blossomed.

Today PG-HQ hosts 713MB of Vassal content. There are 345 extensions, all run from a single control module. There are 124 games supported by our modular scheme and 7 games with dedicated extensions, which are playable by any and all. I think it's pretty cool.
wleonard1, triangular_cube, cjsiam And 2 others like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-11-2022, 09:24 AM,
RE: And the count as of now is...
I think it is very cool!

Thank you everyone who worked on this!
treadasaurusrex and cjsiam like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
07-19-2022, 01:37 PM,
As a complete newbie (aka 'noob') who has just submitted Vassal Academy Scenario 3 logfiles, I am impressed with the system.  124 games is a lot of potential gaming.
treadasaurusrex, cjsiam, Tambu And 2 others like this post
07-27-2022, 02:19 PM,
Thanks Peter, Shad and everyone who has worked on it. It’s a terrific product. I’ve sent Avalanche hard earned cash that I normally wouldn’t have if I was only playing solitaire on the dead trees, so I hope they appreciate the work too!
Tambu and treadasaurusrex like this post