Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It has long perplexed me...
01-06-2022, 01:18 AM,
It has long perplexed me...
I am sure almost no one like the Vassal Academy, that includes me too. Being part of getting PG Über hosted, I and many others know why it had to be there. Okay, we live with that. The Academy involves 3 paths to certification, with a Mentor (some guys are new need someone to show them the ropes), Self-study (play the Mentor scenarios your self) and Self-play (where you play 2 scenarios from a game you already have). With Self-study and Self-play, you need to submit logfiles mostly so we can say we did our diligence, of course if you are completely out of line or clues, we'll call you on it 9but that doesn't happen very often).

Now I get to the perplexing part. Most of you already have a fair sized PG library. Self-play gets one certified by playing 2 regular scenarios (not the Mentoring scenarios). Shared or solo play doesn't matter, just so long as the logfiles are submitted. Everything need to play one game (of your choosing) on Vassal is provided. It is probably the easiest path to certification, because you are doing what you would have done anyway (plus a logfile). Yet, of the 3 Academy pathways, it is the least chosen. That is where my befuddlement lies.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-06-2022, 02:07 AM,
RE: It has long perplexed me...
I can't learn from manuals that well. I need to be shown and the very best way is for mentored play (thanks Schoenwulf!) but I get your point. If you really get it, that is easier to just play two scenarios. I have to say though that my life is full of the crap I HAVE to get done. PG is a relax for me and I think that that mentoring relationship can be a great way to do that. Nothing like hanging out in your own dining room with someone and playing through a game. 

It's great that there are multiple ways to go through the academy. I loved the mentor path though.
treadasaurusrex and Schoenwulf like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
01-06-2022, 02:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2022, 02:56 AM by plloyd1010.)
I'm not dinging the Mentor and Self-study paths. Furthermore, Bob is a great guy. He has been doing the mentoring while I've been "grading papers". If you are just learning the system, mentoring is probably the way to go. The mentoring scenarios are designed to be bite-sized. I was thinking more of the other 1,200 members. I just always thought, you have the games, playing them on Vassal will expand your opponent list.

P.S. Someday I will get around to beating your butt too! Big Grin
treadasaurusrex and goosebrown like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-06-2022, 02:58 AM,
For me, learning how to play PG with a live mentor was the only way to go -- thanks Peter!

The game is supposed to be fun. What's better than playing with a like-minded opponent in an environment conducive to active learning, experimentation and creativity on a virtual battlefield where no one gets hurt?

The VASSAL Academy is a major asset and probably just needs more mentors, or foils, to introduce the game mechanics of PG, with enthusiasm and care, to newbies like me.

Keep up the good work!
cjsiam and goosebrown like this post
02-27-2022, 01:09 AM,
Maybe people want the Mentor more for help with Vassal than anything?

It is not a newbie friendly app
goosebrown and treadasaurusrex like this post
02-27-2022, 11:57 AM,
Pixelgeek is onto one of the primary issues. In my mentoring life with the Academy, the "lesson plan" (always a professor I guess), indicates that there are three areas to getting through the Academy: 1) getting all the files loaded and organized on the individual's PC or Mac; 2) learning to use the PG commands to play in Vassal, and how to set up a game, move and fire units, etc.; 3) learning to actually play the game per the rules. My experience has been that there is more difficulty in getting through the first two, hence the preference for the Academy scenario track. Maybe that's what's going on?
treadasaurusrex, goosebrown, Tony M And 1 others like this post